2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Guilty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got a chance to do some more searching.I looked down the throttle body and fine there.Plugs seem great with nice tan color.Replaced dist. cap and rotor,no change there.While I was at it I need to replace upper rad hose so flushed coolant and replaced thermostat,of course nothing there.Bought muffler and front O2 sensor but haven't had good enough weather for it and garage is full.When I change muffler I can look closely at cat.Hope this is the end of it.

Thanx

Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just take a hammer and bang on the cat, if you hea rattling like stated before, the cats gopne. no need to look up in there

and as for you changing the rear o2 sensor. pffft. i dont even have one and the truck runs great. so IMO that sensor was a waste. you always want to get te one before the cat, becuase thats the one reading all the flow basically

Last edited by 95RAM360; 10-21-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Guilty

wee I tried just about everything now.I changed the muffler cause it needed it and while it was off I beat on the cat and it seems solid with no rattles.I changed the front O2 sensor this time and still have bleeping problem.Still can't see any other problems .It also seems that the problem comes a little quicker now.I can't seem to get as far before I can tell something is wrong.Will check TPS readings and then guess I will have to buy a OBD2 reader.If I go this route what would be a good(half decent one) for under 400 dollars in Canada.Names options good things bad things and what to stay away from.

Appreciate it.
Thanx

Last edited by Guilty; 10-25-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 AM
Guilty

BigDodge98 wins the prize!!!! worked my way up and replaced both the crank position sensor and camshaft sensor and now she purrs again.Thanks for giving me all the info.Most of it was quite useful.Now about an OBDII code reader.Which ones should I be looking at or are we allowed to talk about that stuff?

Thanx

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
xray99
Banned

OBD2 - Ebay has some nice offerings for well under $100.
Might even be worthwhile checking Murrays.
You want to make sure you get a unit which displays what the code means, and not just the code # itself, as some of the cheaper units do.
Other than that, they all do pretty much the same thing.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Guilty

great. A friend brought one over after the problem was solved but he had no clue to use it yet.Its an OTC Pegysys system...BEAUTIFUL.of course he wouldn't leave it overnight.Must get him back for an hour to go over it with him and check the rest of the truck before snow flies.

Thanx again

Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM
wescoaster

im having a simular problem with my 96 it dies after reaching a certain temp then starts no prob, switched the IAC and still dies, id rule out the CPS, with my ezperience the truck wont run at all if its shot. the cat was the first thing i yanked when i bought the truck 3 years ago so i cant help there, im on my way out to the shop right now to try a new tps and maybe yank the front 02 sensor due to the fact my newly installed headers may have fowld it up pretty good, ill get back to you

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 AM
DRAGOONS24L
Unhappy Not really sure???

Hey Guys, I have an Electrical problem with my 98 dodge ram 1500 it stalls out when i run my A/C or radio, with them both off it run an doesn't die. Already replaced my Alt. and battery what am I missing

Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Will your radio kill your truck by itself?

That seems REALLY odd...... I would start looking at all power feeds, and grounds. Make sure they are all clean, and tight.

Welcome to DF!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Joshua Lowry
Question Similar Situation

I also have a 98 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 and I am experiencing the same problems you are having, but I have not started replacing anything yet. I am also having problems with AC/heater. It switches from front vents to defrost and with very minimal heat. Even if you let the truck warm up for a while still minimal heat. I like everyone would like to spend the least amount of money to fix my problem. I was thinking as soon as I can I will check all the throttle cables and do detailed inspection on everything. After that though, where should I begin?

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out