2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out

Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

For the vent switching, check for vacuum leaks, and also do a search here on "wild vents".

For minimal heat, you have air in the heater core. You can try parking at a SEVERE angle, such that the passenger front of the truck is at the highest point, and try burping your cooling system. If that doesn't work, back flush the heater core.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Guilty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I think your heater core should be flushed. Do you have any residue on your windows? If so you could have a heater core leak.For electrical problems on this truck the best idea is to spend $20 and subscribe to All DATA then follow their troubleshooting guides.

Thanx

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM
DRAGOONS24L
Default Not sure if it is fix or not?

Originally Posted by Joshua Lowry
I also have a 98 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 and I am experiencing the same problems you are having, but I have not started replacing anything yet. I am also having problems with AC/heater. It switches from front vents to defrost and with very minimal heat. Even if you let the truck warm up for a while still minimal heat. I like everyone would like to spend the least amount of money to fix my problem. I was thinking as soon as I can I will check all the throttle cables and do detailed inspection on everything. After that though, where should I begin?
Shortly after this post I was up buying lumber at a home depot drove ok going there but when i went to leave it wouldn't start, I called a buddy of mine and he said to tap on the fuel tank while someone turned it over. Well I got it home then that weekend i replaced the inside fuel filter and pump not a fun job. But after getting it fixed we made a 3000mile trip driving was fine not problems. Upon getting home and going back to work(night shift)at the time. The problem was back now that i have been put on day shift and it is cold I haven't had any problems YET.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
chogg
Rookie

I was having the same stall problem on my truck turned out to be the valve body in the trans was gummed up making it stick in gear.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
hangdog

Originally Posted by Bigdodge98
Crank positioning sensor id put money on it
im haveing the same problem why do you think its the CPS? ???

Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
hangdog

Originally Posted by Guilty
Aubrey- what do you mean by info on 02 sensor and cat?I replaced the rear 0de2 sensor.Cat doesn't sound rattly but didn't loosen anything to shake it enough to see.The truck wouldn't run quite right or start right if cat was gone would it?

Twisted metal- if the truck isn't doing the customary up and down idling do you think it could still be the TPS?

Bigdodge98- wouldn't the crank sensor show up with trouble codes?If not how should I test it before throwing more money(that I don't have) at it?
Sorry to answer your queries with questions but want to stop spending and start fixing.
What is best way to check cat?

Thanx in advance for your ideas and help.
im haveing same problem when at idle truck stalls also wile i was driveing truck lost power moter still running but no power towed home next day went to start motor would turn but no start bangd on cat marbles cut it out truck crankt rite up but like u when truck is warm or makeing turn it stalls out

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
hangdog

Sometimes more than less when at a stop lite or just sitting at idle the oil presher drops to 0 and the truck stalls replaced oil pump truck still the same ram 1500 5.9 2weel drive 98 model can anyone help

Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM
joewilly
Default try this

Pull the o2 sensor out of the convertor and let me know what change occurs.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional

Pull the front o2 run the truck if it runs fine bad cat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out