2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission leak when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak when hot?

OK so I thought I finally had all of the bugs worked out of this truck but it appears not so.Well I drove about 45 miles into town & 45 back.Truck ran & shifted fine.Im a little odd about looking under truck for leaks.Meaning I do it every time & today I pulled off hwy into store to buy some pops I looked & saw transmission fluid, hope under truck saw it was coming from the seap / weep? Hole on the bellhousing.Went in got my zoo zoos & wham whams headed home let it sit for around 3 hours went out & saw a spot in the gravel.
So I cleaned everything up really good let idle for about 10-15 minutes & took her for a spin maybe 8 miles went on a real time country road all gravel & hilly.Came home no leak.Everything was clean Then I think &remember I need to buy a new Trans cooler. Mine had got a hole in it when we slid in a ditch & I have a very small aftermarket Trans cooler of. It & it's meant to be only temporary & too be honest I haven't been driving her much since I lost the ability to use my arm so it slipped my mind.
So first could it be that the Trans got hot&that is why it came out of the seap hole? I recall hearing someone say be on my 2nd Gen gasser that, that is the reason that hole is@ the bottom of the bellhousing.So is this true? Or should I worry that it's the front crank seal? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a slow weap, leak in the same spot. it will happen when hot for he simple fact everything expands when hot making fitment less tight, thus the weap hole. lookin like you will need to do the trans output seal. do te transfee case input seal while your at it. when i did mine about 5000 miles ago, not one more drop down there. i did trans output shaft seal transfer case input seal, slpit tranfer case and resealed that and replaced the output seal where the driveshaft slides onto the tcase. also ordered and installed gillys t-case saver, recommended.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak when hot?