2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Guilty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out

First question here. Driving a 1998 ram 1500 two wheel drive with the 318 gas, auto.My truck stalls out mostly after it is warm and driven for about ten minutes.It happens when I slow down to stop or turn in somewhere.Also now it sometimes sounds like a diesel when starting for a second or two after it has stalled..That rattle they have.Other than that it runs like a top has lots of power etc. I have read some of the threads on this problem and started replacing sensors.I originally thought to replace the idle air control valve .No fix. Then took it to have the codes read.Was told the speed sensor,abs sensor,and oxygen sensor.Replaced them all.Figured when truck knew how fast it was going it might be OK...no good.
What next ? I haven't had it back on the code reader yet.
Thanx for any help in advance.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any info on the cat and o2 sensor?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Try running a can of Seafoam thru it. It will help clean out the throttle body. also clean or replace the TPS. Also, I am with Aubrey, check the cat out. Does it rattle? Sound like marbles inside? If so, replace it.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Bigdodge98
Rookie

Crank positioning sensor id put money on it

Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Guilty

Aubrey- what do you mean by info on 02 sensor and cat?I replaced the rear 02 sensor.Cat doesn't sound rattly but didn't loosen anything to shake it enough to see.The truck wouldn't run quite right or start right if cat was gone would it?

Twisted metal- if the truck isn't doing the customary up and down idling do you think it could still be the TPS?

Bigdodge98- wouldn't the crank sensor show up with trouble codes?If not how should I test it before throwing more money(that I don't have) at it?
Sorry to answer your queries with questions but want to stop spending and start fixing.
What is best way to check cat?

Thanx in advance for your ideas and help.

Last edited by Guilty; 09-24-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Guilty

checked vacuum and tps today didn't see anything wrong there.What readings should I get from the TPS?The truck only has 130,000km and it seems to be a heat related problem as it only happens when it is up to temp.I was checking things and when it reached temp it stalled just sitting there.It wouldn't start and stay running unless I touched the throttle .Does this give any more insight?

Thanx

Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
xray99
Banned

I was having problems stalling at lights, RPM's would go to near 0 at idle, and it would die.
I was lucky, was changing the air filter and I noticed a little rubber hose that feeds to the TB in front was badly cracked, I replaced it and it solved my problem.

Probably not something that simple, but occasionally stuff like that happens.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just thinking out loud...
after about 5-10 minutes is when the pcm would switch over from open-loop to closed-loop and try to tune the engine for minimal emissions. that's when the front 02 sensor really comes into play. if that hasn't been changed, i'd change it. you might be running overly rich or overly lean. rich might be associated with smell of gas.

idle problems can also be caused by IAC or TPS. sometimes tps will set a cel P0123.

what was your code on 02 sensor?
most auto parts stores will read the codes for free.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem you're describing could be a bad cat especially with that number of miles on it. But it could be that front 02 sensor that is fouled up. Also, look down the top of your throttle body and see if there's a pool of oil in the bottom of the intake's pan. You could have a leak and have some nasty plugs.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Guilty

Xray- I sprayed some fluid around any vacuum areas and no changes in idle so I suspect no problems there and there are no hisses.

dhvaughan- around here the cheapest I found to get codes read was $10.Went to buy code reader today on sale and of course all gone.I didn't see what codes they were when he checked I just wrote down the parts I needed when he said what the problems were.The parts weren't from him and I put them on so I wasn't worried about honesty and I was right there when he tested of course.I already changed IAC,rear O2,speed sensor, and ABS sensor.The truck isn't idling up and down like the usual signal of a TPS.

Aubrey- When I get the chance I will look down throttle body and maybe check front O2 .I hate the thoughts of the Cat being gone but if I can't find anything else in the codes I will have to look really close at it.

Thanx guys/gals I appreciate any other ides and input.The wife wants to get me a 2008 Chev.....just because the bank has lots of money she says...

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 1500 stalls out