2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse

Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent quite a significant amount of time looking thru my Haynes and owners manual to try and find out what IOD was. Should've known to just come here first! lol

I am having a similar problem as brents1986 had. Although, last fall when I could not locate any options (switches nor fuses) to turn off interior dome lights, I just pulled all of the bulbs out.

I hope I am posting this in the correct location (I have a very difficult time navigating on a phone) and the thread is not too old to get some replies.

Last week, I discovered that the exterior back up light, on top of the cab was on, many hours after I had parked the truck.
Was able to turn it off by pulling the IOD fuse out. And figured my immediate issue of battery drain was solved.

Found out today, I was wrong. Truck is deader than dead. Going to start diagnostics with a spare battery....but, of all things to go wrong, electrical is the worst for me. It is in fact what inspired my purchase of this Dodge last year...can't figure out why I have no tail lights in the old truck! (Yes, the wires, but where)

Anyway...any ideas what I should look for ?
in the 2001, Dodge 2500 5.9

TIA!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

The lights on the back of the cab aren't reverse lights, those are cargo lights. Usually turned on by the headlight switch.

If you don't have one yet, get the factory service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W.

Check the underhood light, and the glovebox light, see if those are staying on. If your domes are on all the time, check the door jam switches, also, make sure they are turned off at the headlight switch...

Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM
not2techie
Amateur

This might get off track, idk, not sure if I should start a thread?

I will check for those lights when I get a battery in. I have the cable ends cleaned up now, and found this cut wire while doing that

Yellow jacket wire cut

Looks like it was cut long ago from a PO. Do we think it is relevant?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably not. More'n likely it was something that was removed when one of the previous owners sold the truck. Of course, that could possibly imply that there is other wire-butchery going on elsewhere.......

Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Okay, yes I'm sure there is. Here is what I know right now...
There is a significant draw on the battery, with and with out the IOD fuse plugged in. (Keys in off position, lights switches all off)
In addition, the cargo light stays on with the IOD fuse plugged in. I have dome bulbs all pulled out, because I frequently leave doors open for extended hours.
The under hood light does not turn on that I can see. Nor glove box.

Can I drive the truck safely with the IOD fuse pulled?

I have some wiring diagrams in my Haynes, but need to visit the library to download the manual from here. And, at this point, clearly I have something more problematic than just the IOD, so will start a new thread after I research more, and am still stumped.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Listen carefully to your truck, with everything turned of. See if anything is still running.

Monitor the draw, and start pulling relays. Stuck relay on say, the a/c, would be a pretty significant draw.

If none of that turns up anything, start pulling fuses one at a time, until the draw goes away. That will at least clue you in to which circuit it is.

Might wanna pull the headlight switch, and check the wiring at the back. They are famous for melting, and causing some interesting problems. (including fires.)

Old 06-28-2016, 10:08 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Oh Wonderful! No fires yet. lol

For tonight, I have the negative cable pulled off the battery. Will be back at it tomorrow.

I'm not absolutely positive, but it sounded like this might be making noise. No clue what it is?

Under dash, near floor, heat vent in background.

Just a little to right side of gas peddle, up by firewall.

Last edited by not2techie; 06-28-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: forgot to include my amused reaction.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Vacuum Actuator. There are a couple scattered around under the dash. All your vents are vacuum controlled. No electric involved.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I.O.D. Fuse

There are a few things that are connected to the I.O.D. fuse:

Left Visor/Vanity Lamp
Right Visor/Vanity Lamp
Underhood Lamp
Radio
Glove Box Lamp
Power Mirror
Dome Lamp
Cargo Lamp #1
Cargo Lamp #2
DLC Connector (need this to retrieve codes)
Map lights

Your Cigar Lighter still works, tho!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Hillbilly Emes
Default iod/abs

was woundering if the i.o.d. or abs/RWAL fuse could case the speedo to quit working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I.O.D. (Ignition Off Drain) Fuse