2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dropping valve body

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 AM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx A4S - You been holding my hand so much on this, you must be getting blisters !

Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL, I don't hold guys hands, homo.

I remember what a PITA this was the first time did it.

Don't forget to sneak a peek at those accumulator springs over on the passenger side. According to several folks, there were different combos and locations of the springs on that thing between years.

Also, if you end up pulling the parking sprag out to far, guide it into the channel closest to the driver's side. You should be able to work the rooster comb by hand, just remember where the neutral detent ball position is.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 10-27-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
xray99
Banned

Don't worry, my hands are nice n soft from all the tranny fluid !

Anyways I made some progress today, got the crusted linkage off and the neutral switch out.
Now its very lose, I got 2 bolts half way in holding it up, but it feels like its still snagging something on the drivers side.
I never did loosen that 9/16th nut or removed the "guidpost" - Think that might be it ?

I will be shocked if this thing works when I get it back together.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Nah that linkage bolt shouldn't be it. Perhaps the parking sprag is offering a bit of resistance, or the governor sensor isn't sliding through as easily as you'd like.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey xray99, what symptoms are you trying to fix by replacing the converter clutch solenoid?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 AM
xray99
Banned

Not replacing any solenoids.
My only reason for doing this is replacing the small internal solenoid harness, the valve body has got to drop to do that.
Would have been easy enough to design a harness which could be replaced in a minute but no, major disassembly is required for this simple harness replacement.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, definitely hear you on that! I need to replace the C C Solenoid. Thats why I asked. I've been practicing at the bone yard and FRICKING A that thing is annoying!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
xray99
Banned

Finally dropped it, it was hanging up on the upper connector fitting, had to twist it and apply downwards pressure and it popped out.
Clip sucked, I think I destroyed it.
Only thing that popped out was a white cylinder with O rings ,,, Is going to be interesting getting it back in.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

that white cylinder with o rings is your accumulator piston. and you have to do a damn balancing act to get it in.

I think I dropped those springs about 20 times before I finally got it in. There was much swearing involved.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
xray99
Banned

Heres an update, still haven't got that damn thing in yet. By the time I get home from work its dark n cold, and I can't motivate myself to do it.
Weekends supposed to be nice, its now or never.

Anyways, I went to this local tranny shop to get one of those clips, I destroyed the original getting it off, and didn't want to risk using the wrong sized clip.
I figured they'd have a box full, and showed him on a valve body what I needed.
Didn't have any handy, but the guy said he'd give me the one on his valve body, mighty righteous of him.

Let me digress a bit. When I was first trying to take out the harness, I thought it could be done without dropping the valve body. I was looking for a way to access the top connector, and there is a cover plate right under it with 4 screws, so I took the plate off and a little metal cylinder with a spring it in drops out.
Well that didn't do any good, no access, I should have put it right back in but I set it aside, with the words, "remember, springs down".

So 2 weeks go by, I'm getting ready to put the VB back in, and I'm thinking "springs down ,,, Right ? Yup, that was it. Or was it springs up" ? Damn, I forgot which way it goes, so I figured I'd ask the trans guy while I get the clip.

I brought the little cylinder with the spring inside, and asked him which way it goes.
He says, don't know ,,, Where does it go ?
I said, right behind this plate here, so he unscrews it to see.
Sure enough, it was spring down ,,, But as it turns out, my spring was busted in 2.
The spring he took out of his almost touches the metal cover plate, mine was doubled, and was completely contained in the cylinder.
He said damn, that looks like a problem, another guy there said he sees these springs busted quite often.
So the guy hands me the good spring, now I'm all set - And it was just a matter of chance that I ever found out about it in the first place, because it wasn't necessary to take off, and if I remembered for sure which way it went in, I never would have taken it to the trans guy, I would have put it back in, busted spring and all, nad never been none the wiser.

1st pic below shoes the metal cylinder with the new spring - The one that was in there wouldn't have even showed, it was all within the cylinder.
2nd pics shows it in place, without the cover plate on.

Anyone know what the function of this thing is, and what negative affects you could expect with a busted spring ?
I should have asked the tranny guys while I was there.

One good thing is its simple to access, once the pan is off. Just a matter of 4 hex screws - I'd have to recommend that people check these when they change filters, ect.

Name:  1-16.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  25.2 KB

Last edited by xray99; 11-06-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dropping valve body