2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 ram slt quad cab seat belts clicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
wa.alldiesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 ram slt quad cab seat belts clicking

new to this forum where do i start looking. searched but found nothing. any help thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

what do you mean by seat belts clicking?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the search is broken right now.

do you mean that they are clicking like when you pull them out all the way? only their doing it every time you buckle up?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
wa.alldiesel

When I press the brake pedal the seat belt lockers in the seat by the top start clicking. It's like there is a bad connection some where from the brake pedal to a seat belt control or safety device. Bolth seats do it.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

sounds like the retractor has a problem. hit the junkyard. or call the guys at http://www.mintonmotorsinc.com/index.html for some used seatbelts. that is if you can change just the belt. i'm not sure if you can since it is built into the seat.
the seatbelts lock up in my truck if i get on the brakes but they don't make the clicking noise.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM
wa.alldiesel

Bolth seats do it at the same time witch leads me to believe there Is a controler for the seat belts activated by the brake system. I need to find a wiring diagram

Old 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM
de8212
Professional

In my 99 there is a sensor of some sort under the middle seat. Mine went bad a few months after I bought my truck. I don't remember any kind of clicking though so I am not sure your issue is the same.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

my dads 98 has a seat belt fuse in the dash fuse panel. check that.
i assume it is there to trip the light on the dash when you don't buckle up. but it might have something to do with your noisy belts.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
wa.alldiesel

Name:  seatbeltlocation.gif
Views: 5249
Size:  18.7 KBlocation of control module
Name:  seatbeltwire.gif
Views: 8481
Size:  22.6 KB
wire diagram of module.

here is what I found.

There may be a problem with the seat belt control module being that it is both seat belts.

You will want to check the fuses (#1 and #16) of course and then the module. Here is a diagram of the airbag that shows the fuses and a test for the SCTM.

SYSTEM OPERATION
A seat belt retractor latch solenoid is integral to each of the two outboard front seat belt retractors. The solenoid is grounded at all times through its wire harness connector and circuit. The solenoid receives battery current, which is switched by the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM), through a fuse in the junction block.

When the seat belt retractor latch solenoids are energized the retractor spools are unlatched, and the seat belt webbing can be withdrawn from the retractor. When the solenoids are de-energized the retractor spools latch, preventing the seat belt webbing from being withdrawn any further from the retractor.

The seat belt retractor latch solenoids cannot be repaired. If the solenoid is faulty or damaged, the entire seat belt retractor unit must be replaced.

Seat Belt Retractor Latch Solenoid
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the wire harness connector from the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM).
  2. Check the resistance between the inoperative (driver or passenger) latch signal circuit cavity of the SCTM wire harness connector and a good ground. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms . If OK, see Seatbelt Control Timer Module in the Diagnosis and Testing. If not OK, go to Step 3.
  3. Unplug the wire harness connector at the inoperative (driver or passenger) seat belt retractor latch solenoid. Check the resistance between the two terminals of the latch solenoid. The correct resistance should be from 50 to 60 ohms . If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, replace the faulty seat belt retractor unit.
  4. Check the resistance between the ground circuit cavity of the latch solenoid wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no measurable resistance. If OK, repair the inoperative (driver or passenger) latch signal circuit between the solenoid wire harness connector and the SCTM wire harness connector as required. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground as required.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
wa.alldiesel

As soon as I can, I will test the SCTM it seems to be the culprit.

Quick Reply: 1998 ram slt quad cab seat belts clicking