2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 codes!!!! Ugh

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM
tylarkin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 codes!!!! Ugh

Ok I have a p0740 code. Tranny has been lurching for a few months now. Couldn't really pinpoint what was going on. Now all of a sudden I have this code torque converter clutch solenoid. I talked to a tranny guy and he says the converter is likely coming apart and the junk coming from it caused the solenoid to fail. Thoughts?? I don't know if I really trust him or not but due to living in the country I don't really have a lot of options. He's the only one. I also have a p0172 system too rich bank 1. Not sure about that one either. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM
tylarkin
Amateur

Also does anyone work for dodge. This tranny has less than 50,000 on it. It was bought from dodge and I am told the warranty should transfer but I have no paperwork on it.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The truck is well over ten years old, there won't be any factory warranty left.

They were also notorious for crappy torque converters, so, it coming apart isn't really that far out in left field. I would be tempted to drop the pan, and see what's in there.

Replace the pre-cat O2 sensor. It's probably time in any event.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 PM
tylarkin
Amateur

The tranny was bought just a few years ago. Maybe 2-3 years. I was told it came with a warranty. When I drop the pan what am I looking for. Really don't have much knowledge about trannys other than taking one out and putting one in.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking for burnt fluid, pieces of metal floating around,etc...

And anything else that's floating around the pan that shouldn't be...

Last edited by stewie01; 03-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by tylarkin
The tranny was bought just a few years ago. Maybe 2-3 years. I was told it came with a warranty. When I drop the pan what am I looking for. Really don't have much knowledge about trannys other than taking one out and putting one in.
Note to self: Never believe anything when it comes to buying a used vehicle unless there is paperwork to back it up. "I was told" will get you nothing. Every vehicle I own, I keep immaculate paperwork on for the next owner. If I state something was done, I have the receipts, service orders, etc, to back it up if they ask. You would be surprised to find out how many never question it and I go through a lot of vehicles. Sorry, but if you dont have that, you have to suck it up and deal with it. Not trying to sound harsh, but thats reality. You have no idea of the true condition of that transmission until you heed the advise of the members here. Drop the pan and see whats up.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM
tylarkin
Amateur

Wow!!! We'll I left out some info to spare you all the boring details but since I have been "called out" I will go ahead with the whole story. I bought the truck a year ago from a friend who I have known for 25 years. I am only 28 so we have been friends since we were 3. The kind of friends that when I moved away 5 years ago, he was the only one who stayed in touch. I talk to him every other day. He was the one who bought the tranny. I am 100% sure this tranny has/had a warranty. He has misplaced the paperwork that came with it and is currently looking for it. I'm not sure of the details of the warranty so that is why I was asking if anyone worked for dodge that can maybe point me in the right direction of how to get the paperwork or find out if the warranty is still valid. I was just trying to save my friend the trouble. Anyway...I am a very busy person so first chance I get I will "heed the advice" of the members on here and pull the pan. I also want to take this time to thank most of you on this forum. There's not a doubt in my mind my truck would be at the scrap yard by now if it wasn't for you guys. Your advice and know how has saved my *** more than once. Thanks

Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Do you know for a fact it was a Dodge dealer that installed the new transmission? If so, you could go go that dealer and have them run the VIN.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 AM
tylarkin
Amateur

It was not installed by the dealer. It was installed by my friend. It was purchased thru the dealer. I'm just afraid to go there with no paperwork because if it does happen to have some life left in the warranty and they know I have no proof they will just tell me no. They are crooks. They are the only dealer in the area and they know it.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

You could PM Dodgecares and ask him. Maybe if you could get a serial number off the transmission he could do some sleuthing and find out some info on it.

Quick Reply: 2 codes!!!! Ugh