Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater not blowing hot enough

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 PM
jay6ird jay6ird is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 63
Default Heater not blowing hot enough

2001 Ram

When I move the temp to cold cold air blows ok from floor vent but when I move it to the hottest setting the air is just warm. I checked the radiator fluid and it is up. Engine temp looks normal at about 190ish. Why is air not real hot? Is it the door in the duct not moving enough?? How do I check things??

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
Silver 2001 360 Auto 4X4 Sport quad cab 3:55 posi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 PM
dodgetrucker75's Avatar
dodgetrucker75 dodgetrucker75 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1948 12v cummins powered B1C pickup
Location: live oak, ca
Posts: 2,283
Default

i have the same issue, my 98 has been like this ever since i bought it, on low fan speed, it has some what warm air, but as the fan speed increases, the temp drops. hopefully some one has a cure for this, its starting to get cold around here...
__________________
98-12v cummins converted from v10,cammed,nv4500,compound turbos,SB3600DD,heavily modified
07 red mega cab long bed,cummins 5.9,G56,mygig,southbend, smarty, more... 99 1500 4bt
The woman's-02 cummins,3500 dually,NV5600,lifted,some added fuel, and 2013 dart 2.0 6spd
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2009, 06:38 PM
95RAM360's Avatar
95RAM360 95RAM360 is offline
Grand Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 SLT Laramie 4x4
Location: MAINE
Posts: 5,581
Send a message via Yahoo to 95RAM360
Default

i cured mine by doing just this.

Replaced radiator, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, and hoses.

Then the way i bled the system is make sure the front of the truck is higher than the rear. fill the radiator to the top, make sure heat is on full blast with the setting on defrost. Then when the thermostat opens add colant accordingly, and now my heats to hot, i always have it more towards the colder
__________________
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4, US Wheels, Courser AT2 tires, Audio System, Rebuilt Transmission, 4.10 gears, Hughes Plenum, Kegger Mod, 8.5mm Spark wires, Bed Rails, Side Steps, Truck box, New Timing Chain, Hollow CAT, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, New Harmonic Balancer, New Transfer Case
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM
RM_Indy RM_Indy is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 11 1500 Bighorn QC 4x4 & what started out as 96 Indy :)
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,827
Default

My 99 V10 was blowing semi warm air last winter on low fan speed. It was barely enough to clear the windows and if turning the fan speed up it was colder. Just remembered I needed to back flush the heater core so 2wks ago, disconnected the line off the water pump and the heater return line going into the intake mani. Used the garden hose (full blast) and back flushed the heater core line so it came out the water pump side line. Then did the same from the water pump side and then back to the heater core side. Hooked it back up topped up the overflow. The temps coming from the vents is 10x better!
Back flush the heater core before you start replacing parts. If its partially clogged and you can dislodge it & you will get your proper heat range back
__________________
11 1500 Bighorn Hemi 4x4
96 Ram/Indy Procharged 408 (s/c 360 times in sig)
Tons of pics, tips, mod list, timeslips & vids @
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
zman17's Avatar
zman17 zman17 is offline
Registered User
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9
Location: NH
Posts: 18,729
Default

What Indy said, bottom line is, you have a heater core problem.
__________________
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 PM
jay6ird jay6ird is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 63
Default

Thanks for the input.. So what could be clogging up my heater core?? The radiator has only glycol (green) and distilled water. I admit I have not changed it in like 5 years...
__________________
Silver 2001 360 Auto 4X4 Sport quad cab 3:55 posi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM
95RAM360's Avatar
95RAM360 95RAM360 is offline
Grand Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 SLT Laramie 4x4
Location: MAINE
Posts: 5,581
Send a message via Yahoo to 95RAM360
Default

its typical wear and tear. youd be amazed on how many threads there are on heater cores
__________________
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4, US Wheels, Courser AT2 tires, Audio System, Rebuilt Transmission, 4.10 gears, Hughes Plenum, Kegger Mod, 8.5mm Spark wires, Bed Rails, Side Steps, Truck box, New Timing Chain, Hollow CAT, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, New Harmonic Balancer, New Transfer Case
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
jay6ird jay6ird is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 63
Default

Well I was able to fix the issue.
Back flushed the core with hose. Drained radiator and put in hose water and bottle of peak radiator flush and ran it for a day. Next day drained everything and put in 50/50. Now it blows HOT.
__________________
Silver 2001 360 Auto 4X4 Sport quad cab 3:55 posi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
PurplDodge's Avatar
PurplDodge PurplDodge is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,319
@nate_kent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6ird View Post
Thanks for the input.. So what could be clogging up my heater core?? The radiator has only glycol (green) and distilled water. I admit I have not changed it in like 5 years...
Well, you need to change it!!! Antifreeze/Coolant deterioates just like gas or oil does. Just when Ethylne Glycol deterioates it becomes acidic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan's Avatar
dhvaughan dhvaughan is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 01 1500 4wd
Location: Gainesville, Ga.
Posts: 12,202
Default

hose water... if you live in an area with hard water/mineral deposits, hose water will create mineral deposits that will stop up the heater core and radiator.

use distilled water instead. there are 2 block drain plugs, one on each side behind the engine mounts. use those to get out all the tap water.
__________________
01 1500 Reg Cab 4wd 5.2 auto 3.55 285/75/16 steps tow hooks sc3815 180 3923 trans cooler filter posilok powertrax (removed) timbren britebox pioneer head rockford amp speaker cobra cb firestick hughes plenum water pump timing chain oil pump rear main hub bearings brakes shocks cracked dash cad bushings seals ujoints trackbar tcase Robert Griffin Trans
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2009, 11:47 AM
sungod sungod is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 2500 4x4
Location: Fairfax VA
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95RAM360 View Post
i cured mine by doing just this.

Replaced radiator, fan clutch , water pump, thermostat, and hoses.

Then the way i bled the system is make sure the front of the truck is higher than the rear. fill the radiator to the top, make sure heat is on full blast with the setting on defrost. Then when the thermostat opens add colant accordingly, and now my heats to hot, i always have it more towards the colder
I have wondered about the fan clutch contributing to a lack of heat issue. My fan seems to spin when the truck is running. I am sure it drawing air in takes away heat that my heater core could use.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM
kochevnik kochevnik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Default

I've got the same problem.

Here's a question - I pulled the radiator cap and ran the truck for about ten minutes so that the temp gauge on the dash read normal 200? Anyways, when I went to touch the coolant in the radiator it was room temp. But the truck never overheats. And this just started the other day - been fine up to this point.

One thing, I did let the coolant get down in the reservoir for a week or so - I figured topping it up would cure my (non) heat problem but no luck.

Could this be the thermostat ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Augiedoggy's Avatar
Augiedoggy Augiedoggy is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 96 ram ext cab 4x4 that followed me home and drained my bank account
Location: North Tonawanda NY,
Posts: 2,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochevnik View Post
I've got the same problem.

Here's a question - I pulled the radiator cap and ran the truck for about ten minutes so that the temp gauge on the dash read normal 200? Anyways, when I went to touch the coolant in the radiator it was room temp. But the truck never overheats. And this just started the other day - been fine up to this point.

One thing, I did let the coolant get down in the reservoir for a week or so - I figured topping it up would cure my (non) heat problem but no luck.

Could this be the thermostat ?
if it is then your temp reading doesnt make sense?
__________________
5.9, eworld stainless shorties from ebay, magnaflow cat, gibson cat back,180 stat, ebay CAI, 50mm DIY TB, 3" body 2.5" spacers, rear shackle lift, 35" mud tires/ 4.56 gears to match rebuilt LSD, aftermarket lights, inserts, Herculined rockers and bed
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
scottnfwi scottnfwi is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 4x4
Location: indiana
Posts: 89
Default

I was convinced that i needed a new heater core,so today i took my dash out and checked the core and it was hot but not coming out of the vents, so i fooled around
with the cable the works the blend door and it was jamed. so i got it free to move
all the eay to hot and i have heat now! thank god it getting down to 20 tonight
__________________
1995 ram 1500 4x4 larimie slt with a 3 in. lift
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 PM
kochevnik kochevnik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Hey Scott - did you take the whole dash out or just the top surface to get at that heater cable ?

I'm thinking now that is what is wrong with mine as well. The top radiator hose is hot, both the heater input & output hoses are hot
- plus the heat was working perfectly on Thanksgiving day, then the very next day it was broke - like someone flipped a switch - and there is no coolant leaking anywhere.

Scott - any tips on removing the POS dash I would appreciate. What a job that is, looks like a bomb went off inside my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM
scottnfwi scottnfwi is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 4x4
Location: indiana
Posts: 89
Default

I started with taken the lower dash support bolts out that are behind the kick panels on each side,some people take the panels out but i just pulled them to the side. then there is the panel with 3 bolts under the column that had to come off then i could lower the column then i loosened the top dash bolts just under the windshild and that gave me enough room to get my arm in there to check out the plastic arm that controls the door. mine wasnt going all the way over so i just played with it and it started working. the previous owner had replaced the core and i think they must have jamed the door and or cable. yea it does look like a nightmare when its all half out.
__________________
1995 ram 1500 4x4 larimie slt with a 3 in. lift
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
kochevnik kochevnik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Default

I wanted to update this because this problem is getting a bit strange.

So I have minimal heat in the cab, pulled the dash and the blend door cable looks fine. So I go back to the heater hoses and the first time I checked these the inlet hose to the heater core was nice and hot, and I 'thought' the outlet hose was hot as well, but I think I grabbed it too close to the water pump and now I see that it is not very hot at all.

So I take the 500 posts here telling me to back flush the heater core, so I put a garden hose fitting on it and flush it both ways, forward and back and the water just POURS thru the heater core, just like it was coming out of the hose, and no gunk coming out either.

So if the heater core is NOT plugged then the only thing left is whether or not coolant actually being PUMPED thru the heater hoses. So I pull the heater core outlet hose from the pipe where it goes on the water pump on the driver's side, and I add a short length of hose there and fill it with water and I fill the outlet hose with water as well. If the water pump is pumping coolant and the heater core is not plugged, then water should get sucked into the pipe on the water pump and at the same time it should come shooting out of the outlet hose from the heater core.

nada. nothing. zip.

The water in both hoses just sits there like the water pump is not even there. And actually when I pulled that short section of test hose off, there was some coolant very slowly pulsing OUT of the pipe on the water pump, when it should have been getting sucked in post haste, according to my understanding.

But the engine never overheats, and I can see the temp drop 20 degrees or so when the thermostat opens up and the top radiator hose is HOT.

So I don't get it. It appears that water is NOT being pumped thru the heater hoses, but it IS being pumped into the radiator hose.

And no leaks, truck temp gauge runs just like it always has, and no noises off the water pump.

???

Last edited by kochevnik; 12-21-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Texanferever Texanferever is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 20
Default

I am having the exact same problem with my heater, except that I just replaced the water pump due to a leak, and the thermostat since I had everything apart already. I flushed the heater core, and it takes all the volume and pressure of the water hose on high.

When the heat is on low it is pretty warm, however after turning up the fan it cools off quite a bit to just faintly warm.

I think I will try the CLR treatment tomorrow and report back to see how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
sungod sungod is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 2500 4x4
Location: Fairfax VA
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochevnik View Post
I wanted to update this because this problem is getting a bit strange.

So I have minimal heat in the cab, pulled the dash and the blend door cable looks fine. So I go back to the heater hoses and the first time I checked these the inlet hose to the heater core was nice and hot, and I 'thought' the outlet hose was hot as well, but I think I grabbed it too close to the water pump and now I see that it is not very hot at all.

So I take the 500 posts here telling me to back flush the heater core, so I put a garden hose fitting on it and flush it both ways, forward and back and the water just POURS thru the heater core, just like it was coming out of the hose, and no gunk coming out either.

So if the heater core is NOT plugged then the only thing left is whether or not coolant actually being PUMPED thru the heater hoses. So I pull the heater core outlet hose from the pipe where it goes on the water pump on the driver's side, and I add a short length of hose there and fill it with water and I fill the outlet hose with water as well. If the water pump is pumping coolant and the heater core is not plugged, then water should get sucked into the pipe on the water pump and at the same time it should come shooting out of the outlet hose from the heater core.

nada. nothing. zip.

The water in both hoses just sits there like the water pump is not even there. And actually when I pulled that short section of test hose off, there was some coolant very slowly pulsing OUT of the pipe on the water pump, when it should have been getting sucked in post haste, according to my understanding.

But the engine never overheats, and I can see the temp drop 20 degrees or so when the thermostat opens up and the top radiator hose is HOT.

So I don't get it. It appears that water is NOT being pumped thru the heater hoses, but it IS being pumped into the radiator hose.

And no leaks, truck temp gauge runs just like it always has, and no noises off the water pump.

???
That has been my suspicion all along. I have been too lazy to hook up a clear section of hose to see just how well it flows.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Flue Flue is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 SLT 5.2?? NV3500, 176K
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 366
Default

I started to replace my core in Oct using a Haynes manual. What a piece of CRAP those manuals are. 2.5 hours later and I was still removing skin pieces. Fed up and pissed off I put everything back together and ended up short on screws (I'm thinking the previous owner had the dash apart and failed to put all screws back in...like I always do ) anyhow several google searches later and I came found a nice PDF that "I think" will be a tremendous help. 5-speed vs. Automatic...Can't be that much different.

URL DENIED!

Soon as it warms up...or I find a garage (w/heat) and a spare Saturday (yeah right) I might tackle the replacement again.

edit...I thought that might happen.
do a Google search for "dodge heater core replacement instructions" and look for *Instructions* Complete.

Last edited by Flue; 12-29-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails