Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slow start off in drive

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default slow start off in drive

i have a 2001 ram v10 and when i put in drive it takes off VERY slow put when i pull it into first it goes just fine. there are no codes the fluids have been the fluids and filter have been changed 1 week ago and the trans was rebuilt 10000 miles ago any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 Ram 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdarren View Post
i have a 2001 ram v10 and when i put in drive it takes off VERY slow put when i pull it into first it goes just fine. there are no codes the fluids have been the fluids and filter have been changed 1 week ago and the trans was rebuilt 10000 miles ago any suggestions?
The only thing I could think of would be either it is starting out in second (we can test in a min), or the torque converter is locking up.

Lets do some testing to see if you are starting out in second gear. First put your truck in second gear and start to pull off to around 5 mph or so. Make sure your truck does not shift out of what ever gear you are in. If it does stop and restart. Next were going to yank the lever down to first gear. The truck should still be in first gear at 5 mph (mine doesn't shift till 10mph) so you should not hear a shift and nothing should change. if it does, it means your trans is starting out in the wrong gear.

lets test to see if the torque converter is locking early. to do this test I want you to put it in drive and start giving her some gas down the road. if she pulls off slowly like you said, this is good because you will notice it more. If she is going slowly and still holding that slow first gear, with your foot still on the gas i want you to push on the brake and hold for a few seconds. Im not saying slam on them or anything, but rather just enough for your brake lights to light up. If your rpms jump 200 or so rpm when you did this, then your torque converter is locking early.

I am no trans expert so take this advise lightly, but those would be my two guesses as to why your truck would take off slowly in drive. As to why it is doing it in drive and not any other time, you honestly got me. If your really concerned about it, i would take it back to the place who rebuilt as you are hopefully still under warranty with 10k and ask for advise.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

ok ill try that thanks! but quick question if could there be a moduleand/or sensor that could be malfuntioning and not throw a code or turn the check engine light on? and im the same way i have quite a bit of knowledge otherwise about engines electrical etc but im almost completely stupid when it comes to electronic trannys!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 Ram 4x4

Quote:
ok ill try that thanks! but quick question if could there be a moduleand/or sensor that could be malfuntioning and not throw a code or turn the check engine light on? and im the same way i have quite a bit of knowledge otherwise about engines electrical etc but im almost completely stupid when it comes to electronic trannys!
I hear ya. Yeah I mean there are a couple sensors in the transmission but I just know if I was in the same boat as you, I would perform those two tests on my truck to help narrow it down a bit so you would know what specifically is happening. We did have a tranny expert on here a while back but I haven't seen him around in a while. (username MonteC).
Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

ok so i did your tests and from what it seems like its starting out in second gear in fact now that im thinking about it thats exactly what its doing. do you kow of any possable reasons of why? cause in order to take it the shop that rebuilt it i would have to go back up to rock springs wyoming from salt lake city utah and in a v10 thats not to smart
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Veteran
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 01 ram 1500 4x4

Quote:
ok so i did your tests and from what it seems like its starting out in second gear in fact now that im thinking about it thats exactly what its doing. do you kow of any possable reasons of why? cause in order to take it the shop that rebuilt it i would have to go back up to rock springs wyoming from salt lake city utah and in a v10 thats not to smart
Especially with an F-ed up tranny lol, If the work was recent I would make them haul it up. Hopefully its still under waranty.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 5.2L Auto 2wd
Send a message via AIM to Trey318

My 46re did that when my governor pressure sensor and solenoid were messed up.
Viper Red Truck Club Member #001
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Champion
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 96 ram ext cab 4x4 that followed me home and drained my bank account

maybe someone removed the check valve?....if so it would take ten secs or so in gear to fill the torque converter with fluid I believe ffrom what they say on the threads about it....
5.9, eworld stainless shorties from ebay, magnaflow cat, gibson cat back,180 stat, ebay CAI, 50mm DIY TB, 3" body 2.5" spacers, rear shackle lift, 35" mud tires/ 4.56 gears to match rebuilt LSD, aftermarket lights, inserts, Herculined rockers and bed
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Grand Champion
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
Send a message via AIM to Sheriff420

after you drive about 50 feet, or if you have it in gear or neutral for a few seconds after you start it then the torque converter will stay full until it sits for a few hours or more again. mine is one of the trucks that has the drain back issue.
it sounds like his truck is starting out in 2nd while in D, all the time.

Airgap. HS 1.7s. 50mm DIY TB. SC 3815. 14x2. 4.10 Yukons. Detroit Truetrac-both axles. Front hitch. Rear hitch lights with skid plates. 4 100w off road lights in brush guard. 2 55w lights in front bumper. Westin brush guard/nerf bars. 33" Treadwrights.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 ram 2500 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff420 View Post
after you drive about 50 feet, or if you have it in gear or neutral for a few seconds after you start it then the torque converter will stay full until it sits for a few hours or more again. mine is one of the trucks that has the drain back issue.
it sounds like his truck is starting out in 2nd while in D, all the time.
My truck takes awhile to start moving when I first start it up.Is that the reason?once I am moving its fine but when it sits awhile i have to let it warm up or it will not move.

My trans was rebuilt right before i got it.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 AM

Tags
dodge trans problems, ram v10, transmission