2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive vibration?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Uhh, your trans actually works harder in overdrive then it does in normal gears. that's why they tell you to switch it off when you tow.

Just because the engine RPM's are lower doesn't mean the trans isn't doing more work.

The engine RPM's get reduced to a ratio of 0.69:1 in OD because the trans does the extra work to make the truck maintain the same speed at a lower engine RPM. If your engine's running 2000 rpms in OD, your trans is running like it would at about 2900 RPMs in 3rd gear at a 1:1 ratio. At 2500 engine RPMs, your trans is outputing about 3623 RPM's worth of work. The driveshaft spins faster too.

The only part of the drivetrain that gets a break in OD is your engine.

A bad snap ring can cause poor or no OD engagement, an unbalanced driveshaft can cause a type of "harmonic wobble" at certain RPM's. If the OP drives his truck conservatively, he may not ever reach that specific driveshaft RPM range until he gets into OD.

If might also be a failing OD solenoid or sensor. It also could be the TC as the OP suspects. Could be a lot of things including the suspension, but the OP hasn't reposted.

good to know...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
94ram2500
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will not shake in any other gear. if im in 3rd gear goin 60, its smooth, then when i press the overdrive button and it shifts in, then it starts shaking. ive been a mechanic for years and i know its not a tire issue or a driveshaft issue. i was just wondering if this is a common problem so it could help my diag.

The following users liked this post:
thevancouvercam (04-29-2023)
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Saltine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello 2nd Geners. First pot here. I stumbled upon this forum trying to track down this exact problem.

I have the exact same symptoms as the OP. It happens only in O/D. I gets noticeably worse the faster I go especially past 60mph. I am leaning towards the torque converter as well. I'm going to crack the pan tomorrow and have a look. I just can't see it being a u-joint or driveshaft balance. I think that would be somewhat noticeable in any gear at any speed.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
94ram2500
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got it back from the local dodge dealer and they found that its a misfire causing the vibration. they checked compression and found low compression in all but 1 cylinder. i pulled the heads off and found one head chamber had leaked down after i poured tranny into them. the head gaskets have signs of blow by. im hoping the one that leaked down isnt a cracked head and just needs valves. any input with suggestions??

The following users liked this post:
Julian Boynton (05-24-2020)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 AM
99redram318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

greaaaat. I had this issue too! truck is fine with o.d. on as soon as i push the button to turn it off at 70 it shakes. I hope its not whats stated above i cant afford that right now!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:11 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94ram2500
just got it back from the local dodge dealer and they found that its a misfire causing the vibration. They checked compression and found low compression in all but 1 cylinder. I pulled the heads off and found one head chamber had leaked down after i poured tranny into them. The head gaskets have signs of blow by. Im hoping the one that leaked down isnt a cracked head and just needs valves. Any input with suggestions??
..... okay i'm having the same problem in my 94 just had a complete transmission rebuild by very well respected local transmission man. He said it's because of a miss.. I have replaced all the electrical ignition system with top quality products and it's still doing it so i guess i need to take a compression test what do you think?

Old 09-19-2021, 06:00 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You are aware this is a 11 year old thread! Might want to look in to the plenum fix, It causes misfires.

Quick Reply: overdrive vibration?????