2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I use a hypetech tuner with a cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 05:10 PM
caleb marsee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use a hypetech tuner with a cold air intake?

Hi guys, so I am new to tuning and such. I found a new HyperTech Max Energy tuner on ebay for $200, and I pulled a cold air intake off of a spare parts ram I have. I am hoping to use both on my 1998 ram 2500 v8. I am wondering if i can use a tune from the hypertech to go with the cold air intake? When I'm in the programmer, the only options i really have is to adjust the tire height and install a regular gasoline tune. Will this be good to use with the cold air intake or will I need a tune specifically for that? Thanks!!

Old 08-23-2020, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Cold air intake won't make any difference at all. The stock intake system is already a cold air system. (assuming it's all still there. ) The aftermarket feller will be louder, but, it won't give you any more power.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:24 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, you can use it. But be prepared to use 89 or 91/93 octane cause she will pingalingaling.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:10 AM
caleb marsee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yes, you can use it. But be prepared to use 89 or 91/93 octane cause she will pingalingaling.
Would I need to use that grade for the aftermarket intake or for the tuner? Because the tune I programmed it to said "regular fuel". Is 87 not regular? Also, what does pingalingaling mean? Thanks for the help!

Old 08-24-2020, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Higher octane gas for the tuner. The intake simply doesn't matter. It isn't going to make any difference in any event.

These engines are already prone to spark knock. (ping) Your engine sounds like a bunch of marbles in a tin can. That is REALLY not good for the engine. (tends to blow holes in pistons.....) You can try regular grade fuel with a tune, and see how it goes. If you get a lot of spark knock, bump to 89 octane, or use an octane booster additive.

Has the plenum been repaired on your truck?

Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Can also try running a colder plug.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, I was gonna link the best info on ping and dodge rams on the web -- dodgeram.org --- but it looks like fritz took it down. It's gone.

Basically, Dodge didn't think it necessary to include a knock sensor on it's engines (still doesn't) so anytime the carbon builds up on the pistons, it can heat up and pre-ignite or ping. Ping is old school term, aka pre-detonation. It is not good. It sounds like a metallic rattle or vibration and is directly related to the amount of pedal you are pushing. There are many "remedies" but no "fixes" as it were. Some things that help: 180 stat, colder spark plugs, higher pressure radiator cap, re-route wires TSB, etc.

Now Hypertech just made a generic tune for all obd2 chrysler pcms in the 90s and since some magnums are more prone to ping (manufacturing problems, higher emission control, leaner fueling map, etc.) especially the 99-03 engines (pre-hemi) lots of owners experienced either INCREASED pinging or it showed up badly for the first time unless a higher octane fuel was run. Why higher octane? Well, don't believe marketing. Octane is NOT for power or increased mileage or any other snake oil marketing. Rather, it's simply the fuel's ability to ignite or the rate of burn. Lower, burns quicker, higher burns slower. This is why high compression engines require higher octane. Racing fuel is very high octane. These engines SHOULD be able to use 87 or even 85 based on the lower compression and 'everyday' purpose designed into it. Unfortunately, many engines built up carbon or just had poor tolerances or machining when built so they are more prone to ping. Since there's no way to add a knock sensor (sensor attached to the block that senses ping and tells the pcm/ecu to adjust fuel to avoid ping) to these engines, we have to listen for it and adjust the parameters or characteristics that cause ping on our own (previously mentioned remedies).

So, when I said expect ping, don't be alarmed. Back in the day, every other thread was "engine noise" or "engine knock" questions and they were all related to ping. It was so prevalent, even before internet, that Dodge had a recall for a reflash in 2001. My truck got it under warranty and it basically re-mapped the fueling to lessen the result of ping. In other words, power was removed from the engine, aka DEATHFLASH. But that's another story for another day. If you want to run the Hypertech, you need to first, A) install a 180 t-stat, and B) listen carefully for ping and if you hear any, run 89 or 91 until you hear none. The best test is hot engine up a hill in OD or 5th. You might hear some at light throttle which is basically incurable. Other things you can do is good engine cleaners but use them at your own risk: Seafoam, Lucas, etc. There used to be a genuine cleaner from Dodge Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner but it was discontinued in early 00s.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, search this forum for spark knock, ping, tuners, etc.

Quick Reply: Can I use a hypetech tuner with a cold air intake?