2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain cover gasket

Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
jamesm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got everything back together-Napa gaskets- and the results are good. no leaks.
I only replaced the stat and the bypass heater hose in addition to the gaskets. The timing chain did have some slack but I decided against buying more parts.
The down side of the impact wrench is putting the bolt back in.You cant set the torque with the gun which is rated for 240 ft lbs.The motor in Park started to turn at around 40 foot lbs so I gave it a couple brief shots with the impact and hopefully its around 135 ft lbs.
Getting the starter out looked like a tough deal on the wet concrete

Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
jamesm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that I pinppointed the leak with the Autozone pressure tester. You could see wet bubbles at the upper passenger corner of the timing chain cover when you pumped air into the radiator.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesm
I got everything back together-Napa gaskets- and the results are good. no leaks.
I only replaced the stat and the bypass heater hose in addition to the gaskets. The timing chain did have some slack but I decided against buying more parts.
The down side of the impact wrench is putting the bolt back in.You cant set the torque with the gun which is rated for 240 ft lbs.The motor in Park started to turn at around 40 foot lbs so I gave it a couple brief shots with the impact and hopefully its around 135 ft lbs.
Getting the starter out looked like a tough deal on the wet concrete
The motor turns easily by hand so, what you have to do in order to achieve proper torque, is to block the flywheel, then torque it down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain cover gasket