2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain cover gasket

Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 PM
jamesm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain cover gasket

2001 5.2 liter ram 1500
I am considering doing this myself since I dont have money in the budget for coolant leaks. I read many posts on the topic, but one question I still have is-- Will I be able to remove the timing chain cover if I remove the front two oil pan bolts and otherwise leave the oil pan alone?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM
quackaddict
Veteran

yes you can when I took mine off this weekend that is all I had to do to get mine off was the 4 bolts on it and the 2 on the oil pan. Also obviously all the stuff attached to the Timing cover have to come off because they hold it on as well.

Also when you are taking it off if I remember from this weekend that the front of you oil pan will be exposed be carefull not to let coolant or debris fall down in there. I am doing a complete rebuild so my oil was drained but just a heads up.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
jamesm

thanks for the info -
Did you actually drain the block at the block drain bolt or just remove the lower hose? I am in the cold damp northeast and everything is rusted up tight. I hear you about coolant in the oil pan but some threads(bolts) are best left alone.
Autozone had a gasket set for $18 but there was no seal for the cover.Is this something that has to be replaced?
And finally if anyone cares to comment I am assuming that cylinder position is not important to remove the timing chain cover and change this gasket

Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM
quackaddict
Veteran

I put a big tub underneath the truck pulled the hose and it drained a lot. Then when I pulled 2 bolts out of the timing chain cover the rest came running out. Be aware of that for sure, just pulling the hose won't completly drain the system if you are pulling the timing chain cover.

I bought that same kit from O'reily's for like $17.99 because I messed up my front timing chain cover seal (the round one) and it came with the 2 gaskets for the timing chain cover and a new water pump gasket?????

Cylinder postition does not matter since you are not touching the chain or camshaft.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesm
2001 5.2 liter ram 1500
I am considering doing this myself since I dont have money in the budget for coolant leaks. I read many posts on the topic, but one question I still have is-- Will I be able to remove the timing chain cover if I remove the front two oil pan bolts and otherwise leave the oil pan alone?
One thing you must be aware of is this: when they sealed that OEM seal up, or even after market / in shop, the front oil pan gasket seal is RTVd at the front corners. IF your not careful, you will tear the oil pan gasket off when removing the timing chain cover.

When I did mine, it was impossible to remove the cover without it tearing. I just replaced both afterwards. It's very easy to replace the oil pan gasket. At least I thought so. I replaced the oil pump as well.

Good luck.

Chris

Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

i did it my self... i did everything from timing chains to water pump...

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
jamesm

I got the cover off today,it went okay.Here is what I did-
The motor turned when I tried to remove the damper bolt with a hand ratchet so I tried an electric impact and off it came easily.
I had a pan ready when I removed the four bolts and caught a few quarts of coolant.
The cover itself seperated a lot easier than the water pump did,once broken free I ran a a small screwdriver around the bottom of the cover between the oil pan gasket.I held the corners of the oil pan gasket and lifted the cover which seperated cleanly.Thanks for the help.I will look for parts next.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Dodge33
Amateur

Glad it's going well so far. I did this exact same replacement just about 7-8 months ago.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you might as well replace the chain while your doing this......get a double roller

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesm
I got the cover off today,it went okay.Here is what I did-
The motor turned when I tried to remove the damper bolt with a hand ratchet so I tried an electric impact and off it came easily.
Another method that works is to lock the flywheel. This comes in handy for those who don't have an impact wrench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain cover gasket