2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another question about wiring around infinity door amps

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 PM
pr1mal0ne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question about wiring around infinity door amps

I have a 1999 Ram with the premium 6 speaker infinity system. My driver's side door panel speaker hasn't worked for a long time and im finally replacing it. I bought 6x9 speakers for a drop in replacement, and then realized that there is a small amp running (i think) three speakers per side built in to the stock door speakers. I have an aftermarket headunit already installed and working so I want to remove the infinity AMP from the equation completely.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this.
My plan is to splice corresponding pairs of wires together. There are 10 wires in the connector that runs to the speaker/amp. 2 run directly to the speaker, 8 run into the amp. Also there are 2 adictional cables that run out of the AMP and into the speaker but are never part of the connector.
Of the eight cables running into the AMP from the connector, im guessing that they are these:
tweeter + in
tweeter - in
tweeter + out
tweeter - out
Rear door + in
Rear door - in
rear door + out
rear door - out

with the 'in' being directly from my headunit and the 'out' being the amped up signal to the speakers. I would then splice the 'in' and the 'out' together therefor bypassing the POS amp.
this is just a guess though and i am most likely wrong. This does not leave any space for power to the amp and i am guessing amps are useless without power. But i can find absolutely no help on how these are wired so I came to you guys. I feel like this is a common procedure and someone had to have done it before.
pics of the speaker and connector are provided. and yes i did already cut them so if i cant figure something out. im going to be a lil ticked

Attached Thumbnails Another question about wiring around infinity door amps-dscf0790-small-.jpg   Another question about wiring around infinity door amps-dscf079a2-small-.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM
pr1mal0ne

anyone???

today i wired the red and black directly to the positive and negative of the new speaker and they produced no sound. this is discouraging because they used to run directly to the old speaker and that worked.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
pr1mal0ne

Well i finished this project up today. I am posting this just for a conclusion to anyone who happens to be stuck with a similar problem.

Turns out the built in amps (1 on each front door) are best left in unless you want to rewire the complete audio system from the HU to the speaker.
With the decision to leave the amp in, all the wiring diagrams that were needed became a non-issue. All that had to be done was to wire everything the exact same as it was with the old speaker. In order to mount the amp, I used wire to secure it to the skeleton of the new speaker and then some duck tape to prevent future rattling.
My sound was surprisingly good. I thought the stock amp would not mix well with aftermarket HU/Speakers, but it seems to.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
adamgmm

I don't know if you will get this or not, but I am having similar issues with my 99 dodge ram, except I pulled the amps out. The issue I'm running into is the rear speaker don't work at all and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I hooked all the wiring up according to specs. Any advice?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
99dodge360

I bypassed the amp on mine due to the amp in the HU and the infinity amp were conflicting with each other. Every door has it's own amp. The left front and right front also go to the tweeters. I cut the wires and took the input wires for the amp and wired them directly to the tweeters, then wired that to the door speakers. By doing this I did away with the amp totally. I can't remember the color's for each, but so far for the last two years I have not had a problem with any speakers in my truck. I believe the problem lies with the head unit putting out 50 watts per channel and then when you try to put that into an amp it is to much power, because you are sending an amplified signal to the amp, which is only expecting a normal signal.

Quick Reply: Another question about wiring around infinity door amps