2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

So I had a brake line bust and now have no idea how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM
foxea
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine this summer because by the gas tank, started to leak and it took about an hour but I had to run to the store a few times. I just used a few unions and long pieces of brake line from Autozone. Also used their free loner flair tool and my pipe cutter and a wrench. Pretty easy to use. Bent everything by hand. I just fed the line between the tank and the rail. Put a slight bend in it and it will feed all the way back. I tried to just do a repair at first, but broke the line in another place, so I replace the whole thing. If I remember, it was somewhere around $25 to do the job. I bled the lines by putting a rubber tube on the bleeder into a small bottle that had a little brake fluid in it. Kept dumping fluid in the reservoir, pumped brake pedal until it came out with no bubbles. Bleed all four wheels. Touch the brakes now and you about go through the windshield. Not sure if this is the proper way but worked well for me.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IF Your gas tank is low I would just say replace the whole line front to back
Factory line was $27ish from dealer it had all the bends and flared ends.

I first tried to replace with the gas tank in place , but there were 3 clips in the frame rail that hold both the fuel line and brake line that I couldn't get to.

If you go this route you will also need to remove the front plastic wheel well liner and buy those little snap rivets, about $5.
You don't need to remove the tank just drop it a bit I put a couple of recycling bins and some boxes under it and dropped it about 6".
About 2-3 hours I'd say

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
xray99
Banned

A cheapo flare tool & bender from harbor freight would help.
Take the original out and match the curves best you can, don't have to be exact.
Like others said, most of the bending can be done by hand, with slow steady thumb pressure, I like the grooved bending tool for starting some of the more complex bends.
You have to flare if you use unions, which you will need at least one if you replace the whole thing.

You should replace the whole line, they are clipped by the gas tank but you can pop the line right off the clips, and don't need to worry about getting the new line back on.
As already suggested, make sure to pad any area of the line the comes on contact with the frame, you could probably salvage the ones that are on the old line, and put them in the same places.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't dropping the tank a huge pita? Not sure I really want to do that and it has a lot of gas in it too. Anyway, what size line do I need and what size fittings? Does it come with the fittings already on it or what? I've never messed with brake lines before.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

another way to route the new line, much easier (how i did it anyway) is around the right side of the fuel tank, just find a couple places to anchor it to (and you don't even have to remove your old line)

Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Trey318
Captain

Dropping the tank is easy peasy. Put a floorjack underneath it with a roughly 10" by 10" piece of plywood (something around that size) to distribute the weight. The tank is held up by two straps with 2 studs each (I think its like a 15mm or something nut on a stud). Once the straps are unhooked, you can slowly lower the floor jack and the tank should follow.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

So how long should it take to drop the tank? Will I have easy access to the line after that? If I got get a line tomorrow what do I need to tell them I need exactly? What tools do I need? Isn't their going to be wires and stuff hooked to the fuel tank? I know I've read of people removing the bed instead of dropping the tank to change the fuel pump. If it's easier to remove the bed it seems like it's got to be a huge pita to drop the tank.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
halfamil
All Star

You also need to figure out what caused the leak,since yours and other folks lives are at stake here.Brakes are the most important, and unforgiving component on any vehicle.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by halfamil
You also need to figure out what caused the leak.
I thought I already pointed that out earlier in the thread.

The metal brake lines don't just fail for no reason. Something either hit or abraded the line or caused it to kink.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

How can I tell what would have caused it to bust since I can't even see the line?

Quick Reply: So I had a brake line bust and now have no idea how to fix it.