2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RUST ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not having to dig thru multiple layers of accumulated sprayed-on oil, that accumulates dirt.... or undercoating to try and find bolts has its upside too.....
This is rarely an issue with light annual coatings. I will happily be up to my *** in grease any day than look at or deal with seized / broken bolts rotted out components and rotten sheet metal. Besides, I've heard you complain more than a time or two about the amount of rust on yours truck.

Originally Posted by glorei@kc.rr.com
I noted a response from an obviously more intelligent writer than I concerning the rust on Dodge pickups. As noted previously my Dodge Dakota is a 2005 model 4 dr Laramie with 128k on the clock and I have NO rust. It has survived 9 KC winters and no rust. It has NOT been treated with Dandy Rust Preventer that I have in MY ignorance omitted to apply. It does however, get a regular under chassis wash down. Who ever it was that offered his rust prevention tip didn't add his name to his comments---? Glenn Lorei
If I may be prejudice for a moment, based on your responses I'm going to guess you are old hat and haven't been under your vehicle very much. If they salt the roads in Missouri at all I guarantee you your 10 year old truck is well on its way to being rotten underneath if you or the previous owners have never had any form of oil-based undercoating applied. Slide under and you will be stunned at how much rust you never thought was there. You may have avoided major creep on your body panels, but believe you me it is impending at that age. Frequent washes during winter are extremely important to get the layer of salt off which soaks up condensation due to temperature fluctuation, especially when your vehicle sits. Not many people tend to wash, as the "it'll just get dirty again" mentality kicks in. Assuming your winters are harsh, that is the only reason your truck is not as bad off as others. Around here, it is rare to see pre-2000 vehicles as most would rather deal with a monthly payment than a cancerous money pit.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
This is rarely an issue with light annual coatings. I will happily be up to my *** in grease any day than look at or deal with seized / broken bolts rotted out components and rotten sheet metal. Besides, I've heard you complain more than a time or two about the amount of rust on yours truck.

If I may be prejudice for a moment, based on your responses I'm going to guess you are old hat and haven't been under your vehicle very much. If they salt the roads in Missouri at all I guarantee you your 10 year old truck is well on its way to being rotten underneath if you or the previous owners have never had any form of oil-based undercoating applied. Slide under and you will be stunned at how much rust you never thought was there. You may have avoided major creep on your body panels, but believe you me it is impending at that age. Frequent washes during winter are extremely important to get the layer of salt off which soaks up condensation due to temperature fluctuation, especially when your vehicle sits. Not many people tend to wash, as the "it'll just get dirty again" mentality kicks in. Assuming your winters are harsh, that is the only reason your truck is not as bad off as others. Around here, it is rare to see pre-2000 vehicles as most would rather deal with a monthly payment than a cancerous money pit.
True that. I do whine about that one fairly regularly, don't I.

That said, I see GM trucks from the early 90's running around with significantly less rust than my truck...... though, after owning mine for a while, I came to the conclusion that 'maintenance' was a four letter word to the previous owner.......

Old 03-26-2015, 03:50 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Rust sucks. The carpet in my car gets wet from the underside when it rains... Frequent washes in the winter are important!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Rust sucks. The carpet in my car gets wet from the underside when it rains... Frequent washes in the winter are important!
And be sure to get the underbody flush.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

True Dat!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM
glorei@kc.rr.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Issue

Whenever I get my oil changed and give the underside a look see. So far my Dakota is rust free. I see the start of rusty areas but certainly no areas that are about to rust thru. I'm lucky I suppose. The KC area uses salt and salt brine. I spend a lot on drive thru car washes. It is alarming however to see well kept vehicles with rust thru over the rear wheel openings. It would seem that Dodge would be clammering to offer a patch panel (not for Free) to repair.
What a bunch of good will that would create.!! 1939ford

Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 AM
utahjd1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big believer is rust bullet

Quick Reply: RUST ALERT