2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

the best aftermarket transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INDY... how much was that ramzilla trans? that is a bad azz trans to be able to stand to your 408 and not break...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fastmann/ Martin Saine link.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/parts_...php#TheFastman

A not so satisfied customer of APS. there might be more to the story since its a strip application. I think HomeTheater has an APS and liked it ok. Seems like someone else, maybe Ron?? if i remember right he had some problems, but i don't know how it turned out.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...and-wayne.html

Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
INDY... how much was that ramzilla trans? that is a bad azz trans to be able to stand to your 408 and not break...
All said n done just shy of 5k (Cdn). Say its good for 800+ hp, we'll see. Never met a trans I couldnt destroy lol

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indy wheres the pics of your 4x4 i didn see them on your indy website

Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

aps precision transmission about 1800-3500 for a trans that will do anything you wabt and warrentied to boot.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

To be completely honest, a simple rebuild with a Borg-Warner kit($300) , a Trans-Go ($100), steel front planet ($90) and a good furnace brazed TC from TCS ($200) should hold just about anything you throw at it.

Heck, my 47RH behind my diesel is handling 422rwhp/903ft-lbs of torque like a champ... Simple rebuild as described above except I have a billet front cover tripple disc converter. So the only difference you would have would be one less OD clutch plate, a single wrap low/reverse band, and the stock style smaller gas converter.

EDIT: forgot to add a sonnax low/reverse servo ($50)... The stock style likes to **** in the bore and break.

Last edited by blackskyracing; 02-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I have and APS Precision transmission and will type up what my experience has been and what I think of it in a few minutes.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Ok, I purchased a APS transmission a little over 2 years ago. About 2 years and a month since I received it I think. Anyway, I went with APS due to reading so much good about them on Pavement Sucks. Guys on there that had them seemed to love them. When I talked to Wayne we discussed what I wanted and I decided on his "performance" model one. It originally ran right under $3600. He told me that he built them after I ordered it but he should have it ready to ship in around 2 weeks. I was fine with that an I will say when I talked to him was on Christmas. I can't remember if it was Christmas day or Christmas eve. Either way I was amazed he talked to me on Christmas. He told me he was taking the rest of the week off for Christmas but could start on mine. I didn't really expect it to be done during the Christmas holiday so it wasn't a big deal. I did call to check up on it several times during the whole process. Wayne was very friendly to deal with. After 2 week and him still saying it hadn't shipped he started telling me about there were some new parts he was designing or had designed or something that he wanted to use in there and that was the hold up. He told me it would be ready the next week a couple times. I called a couple times a week usually to check up on it. Finally after 3 weeks or so I told him that it was fine if it wasn't ready to ship but I wanted a refund on my credit card until it was ready to ship. He assured me that it would be ready within a week. Since he had told me this before I wasn't sure if I should believe it or not. Well, sure enough he did get it shipped the next week. I took about a week after that in shipping for me to get it. So about 5 weeks total until I had it. This wasn't so bad in my opinion since it was on Christmas that I ordered it. I have heard of others having to wait longer though.

All was fine until it arrived and there was no torque converter. I was kind of desperate this time as the shop was installing it the next day. They tried to tell me to just go to a local shop and get one. I got them to hold off while I called Wayne. He told me he had shipped it separately through UPS and to let him call them and find out where it was. I talked to him a couple hours later and he said UPS must have lost it and couldn't tell him where it was. I explained I had to have one the next day and that if he needed to overnight me another one I'd pay the shipping. He explained the torque converter guy that makes them was off that day but he had called him and he agreed to come in to make another one for me and that if I wanted to have it shipped over night he would split the shipping with me. So my half ended up being $60 for the shipping which put this transmission right over $3600. I looked it up on UPS web site what it would cost to ship and for me it was going to be like $150 to $180 so I thought the price I paid was more than fair.

So I did in fact receive the torque converter the next day. The shop installed the transmission and after some adjusting the tv cable all was well. The transmission seemed to work great. One thing I did notice is that it hadn't had a drain plug installed like it said it would. When I asked Wayne about this he told me that they had problems with them getting hung up on stuff in shipping or something to that nature so that he doesn't install them anymore but the customer can if he wants. Ron on here said his didn't have this either and he wondered if the inside parts that he couldn't see were like they were supposed to be since the only thing he could see wasn't.

Anyway, my transmission worked great for about 6 or 7 thousand miles. Then one day I put it in reverse and when I backed up I heard a chattering. I then went forward and backed up again. This time it wouldn't back up at all and the engine just revved up when I get this gas. I was a little unhappy at this point but I gave Wayne a call since it was well under the 2 year warranty. He asked if I'd be willing to drop the pan and attempt to adjust the reverse band and if that didn't fix it we would work on doing something else. So I pulled the pan and gave him a call when I had the pan off. He walked me through exactly how to adjust the band. He then asked that I put it back together and call him when done. I did and it worked perfectly once again. I'd never noticed a issue with forward gears but the reverse now worked perfectly again as well as the forward gears still remaining perfect. This was at 6-7k miles or so on it and I now have 29k miles on it and haven't had any other issues. He told me that anyone that's built Chrysler transmissions has seen this. He recommended adjusting the band at 10k miles but sometimes he said they didn't make it that long and as they broke in they just because loose and you had to tighten them. This is what happened to me.

One other issue I had was sending the old transmission back. He told me once I know and maybe twice but I only can remember once that he was sending the company to pick up the core. They never showed up. The next time he sent me an email with the info from the company and this time they really did show up. I had the old transmission sitting in my yard for a while though. It wasn't something that only took a week or so like I thought it should have.

So overall, I didn't have the best experience but I didn't have a bad one either. I like my transmission and I would recommend it. I do feel bad though because I recommended it to Ron and he had a lot of trouble with it taking him forever to get it and having an issue he didn't like. That's what made me hesitant to recommend them now. I just hate all he went through after me recommending them.

I think overall Wayne was a great guy to talk to and he really seems to know what he is doing. He said he just asks you call if you have any questions. I did call when I had questions and he was always more than willing to help. The quality so far of the transmission has been pretty good as far as I know. Other than losing reverse which seemed to be an easy fix it's been flawless. Do I really know for sure that everything was done like he said? No I don't but I do know it works pretty well and I do like it. I also think Wayne was good to talk to. The only complaint I'd have is the time. If he had told me 5 weeks it would have been fine but I didn't like him saying it would be ready to ship in 2 weeks then it really being 4 weeks before it was ready to ship. This did kind of bug me and I wonder if it would have taken longer if I hadn't stayed on top of it. I've heard of others having to wait longer than I did. This is the only thing I could say that I think he could have improved but overall it wasn't too bad.

Now I will say I've got a friend with a older Ram 350 dump truck with a 360 and he has been through a bunch of transmissions locally. He has had several shops rebuild them for him and it seems like they don't even usually last a year. He has had issues with every single one of them. The factory one lasted him over 100k miles but he can't get another one to last. He even tried a rebuilt one from the dealer. He got one shop locally that's supposed to be really good to rebuild it around the time I got mine from APS. He had bought one from a shop but the company that sold them went out of business and when his broke in under the year warranty the shop agreed to pay to have this supposedly really good shop rebuild it. He got it rebuilt around when I got my APS and he has already had to have them rebuild it for him again. Now they covered it under warranty but he had to have it rebuilt.

Compared to all the issues he has seen from every local shop he has dealt with APS is great. This is also the reason I went with APS as I didn't want to deal with all the issues he has had.

As for APS vs Dr. Evil I can't comment on that. I did contact Dr. Evil when I got the APS but I kind of had my mind made up on APS and when I tried to get a hold of Dr. Evil I couldn't at first and I could get a hold of APS so I went with them. I'm thinking I finally got an email or call or something from Dr. Evil but I'd already ordered the APS then.

So that's my full extensive review. You can see it wasn't a 100% perfect experience but in my opinion it was a pretty decent one especially after seeing how all the local shops have treated my buddy.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Sounds like your buddy has a bad transmission case or warped VB... With all the crap I hear about local shops and "reputable" online ones it makes me wish I hadn`t messed my legs up in the Marine Corps. If I could stand being in the shop all day I would have opened a trans shop by now...

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
contractorben
Rookie

what about jasper trannys?

Quick Reply: the best aftermarket transmission