2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram 1500 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
RenoSteve50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 1500 Stalling

Hi Dodge owners, I need a little help/advice on my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 magnum (4 door).

This morning the engine kept stalling whenever I took my foot off the accelerator. I revved it and saw smoke from the exhaust. I turned it off and looked under the hood. The posts of the battery had buildup of white powder on them. I cleaned the posts with baking soda. All liquids were full; brake fluid, radiator, etc. I tried to start the truck again, same thing -- stall when I took my foot off accelerator.

So I sat there and revved it up for a while. No more smoke from the exhaust. Then I heard the engine idle change to its normal sound and slowly took my foot off the accelerator and the truck kept idling. I was able to drive it. I was leery about getting stuck but took a chance. The motor sounded fine while driving it. Could revving it have done something to stop the stalling? Sure used some gas up.

Any idea what could cause this. It's the first time this has happened. Are these the sign of a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump? Or an uncharged battery (due to the corrosion I found) or a dirty carburator? Guesses. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I sure would like some help narrowing this down.

What is "IAC" mean? I've been reading messages about stalling and clogged IAC. Could it be excessive carbon build-up? I don't have a manual for the truck, but I would like to look in the motor for the IAC and learn about what that is.

I live on a hill away from town and on Social Security, so money is tight and I gotta try to figure this out on the cheap.

Also, I'm using synthetic motor oil. Sparks haven't been changed in a year (I don't do much driving, just around town).

Your help/suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by RenoSteve50; 02-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Stalling