2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
majdi.44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes your right research always saves you time.

what you probably looking at is swapping a 46re into a 46rh truck which is a lot of work since there is no computer to run the 46re and you would have to buy a separate computer or convert your truck to obd2

Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
gobbell1
Professional

maybe you saw the threaded rod here....http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...id=404015&ck=?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
majdi.44

i just came back from the schools machine shop , i drilled the plug put this adhesive i got at Canadian tire says holds up to 400 degrees and its gas kerosene and antifreeze and solvent resistant , than ran the wires through and made sure that this stuff was in between the wires , i'm waiting for it to dry than I'm going to put it in and see what happens . i took some pictures along the way I will post them later on

Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Coocfc

I'm dying to hear the results on this. I have a 46rh from a 93 grand cherokee that I want to make work in a 98. Original project was swapping the 5.2 engine to the 98 but missed the flex plate. Had to seperate the trans and motor to replace with correct flex plate. Doing so required removal of trans cooling lines for space to work. Never in my years have I cross threaded such a simple fitting like a cooling line but I snapped the housing on the perfectly good 44re. I know the 46rh (from the 93) is good and free. Thought I could swap the valve body and electrical items from 44re and make it fit/work. Monday I'll be talking with local transtar folks. It's a shame this thread has no closure.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Coocfc

Ya the 98 appears to have a 44re that is about 4" shorter than the 46rh if you include the transfer case. Thought I could use the driveline from the 93 to make the fit.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

valve bodies won't swap. Passages are different, to account for the different location of the governor. (which the RE doesn't have.) I don't think you can just skip the electronics either, as I don't think the PCM will ever engage TCC, or O/D either...... Don't try and cobble something together, sell the RH, buy an RE, go from there.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Coocfc

I suppose a 46re valve body and electronics won't fly inside the 46rh either? I noted your use of "cobbling something together", so you are reading minds now aye? That front housing from the 46rh sounds like a solution in front of the OD section from the 44re. As it don't have the broken housing. But it don't solve the the electrical issue. Anyone need a 46rh? Willing to trade? I'm located in Salt Lake.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I have one too.... Been tying to get rid of it for a couple years.... nobody seems to want them.

As for 'cobbling', my philosophy on it is: Do it once, Do it right, don't worry about it again. The RH will thoroughly annoy the PCM, and the check engine light will be perpetually on. Things that it is looking for just won't be there. No way to fool it into thinking they are either.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way it will work is with different driveshafts. The RE is shorter because there is no need to accommodate the mechanical governor, so chrysler shortened the output shaft on the 4x4 models... You can't simply swap the RH front section either, the center support has holes in it for the governor tubes that will bleed off all governor pressure. As has been stated the RH case, the hole is too small to fit the 8-pin RE plug through.

List for what would be needed to swap the 46RH in:

-Different drive shafts

-Early asymmetric flex plate

-Vehicle side 3-pin plug (you'd need this to hotwire lockup and OD with toggle switches)

-Longer transfer case shift rod

Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Coocfc

As much as it hurts, I yelled UNCLE. bought a used trans for 495$ from all truck, will throw on new seals and roll the dice. Has 93k on it which is far less than mine and has a 90 day warranty.

Quick Reply: 46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem