2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 PM
majdi.44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem

okay so i got this truck 96 4x4 1500 ram , nice truck but it had a knock so the engine threw a rod and i changed the engine with another one, a week later i lost my reverse gear , and the truck moves in neutral, i guess i welded the forward cluthes togeather so time to swap the tranny.

so i got this transmission off a guy for 200 its a 2wheel drive 46rh the guy didnt tell me it was the rh

so i swapped the tail stocking off the 4x4 onto the 2wheel drive tranny and threw the tranny in the truck , one little problem the harness that plugs in the tranny has only 3 pins on the 46rh but the one that used to be in my truck has like 6 , so i tried to swap the valve bodies but the only problem is that the plug is to thick to fit threw the hole to go into the tranny housing

heres what i'm thinking of doing, either drill that plug run the wires to the outside of the tranny and seal it off with something, and wire it to the plug

or keep the 46rh valve body and figure out a way to wire it 2 my truck ...
can u guys give me advice , or tell me what each of these wires does.. i have the factory service manuals.

and please dont tell me to just buy another tranny , i'm dead broke no money for now i'm a university student and i got over 7 thousand $ in dept , so i'm looking for the cheapest fix .

thanks guys

Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy another tranny or rebuild the 46RE you had. You can rig up something to run the 46RH valve body there is a link or write up on this site somewhere. Unfortuantly the computer will go into limp home mode with no signal from the tranny. You can't just stick the 46 RE valve body in and expect it to work by running the wires out the side.

I don't remeber the 4x4 tailhousing being removable. Did you swap the entire OD unit?

The cheapest way to fix your problem is to rebuild the tranny yourself. It can be done fairly inexpensively compared to having someone do it for you.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by majdi.44
okay so i got this truck 96 4x4 1500 ram , nice truck but it had a knock so the engine threw a rod and i changed the engine with another one, a week later i lost my reverse gear , and the truck moves in neutral, i guess i welded the forward cluthes togeather so time to swap the tranny.

so i got this transmission off a guy for 200 its a 2wheel drive 46rh the guy didnt tell me it was the rh

so i swapped the tail stocking off the 4x4 onto the 2wheel drive tranny and threw the tranny in the truck , one little problem the harness that plugs in the tranny has only 3 pins on the 46rh but the one that used to be in my truck has like 6 , so i tried to swap the valve bodies but the only problem is that the plug is to thick to fit threw the hole to go into the tranny housing

heres what i'm thinking of doing, either drill that plug run the wires to the outside of the tranny and seal it off with something, and wire it to the plug

or keep the 46rh valve body and figure out a way to wire it 2 my truck ...
can u guys give me advice , or tell me what each of these wires does.. i have the factory service manuals.

and please dont tell me to just buy another tranny , i'm dead broke no money for now i'm a university student and i got over 7 thousand $ in dept , so i'm looking for the cheapest fix .

thanks guys
The 46rh has hydraulically controlled governor; the 46re has a governor that is electronically controlled using temp and pressure switch.
Both have solenoids to control torque converter lockup and Overdrive lockup.
The 3 pins on the RH are a power for both solenoids and a ground for each.
On the RE you have those wires plus the wires that go to the governor temp sensor and pressure switch.

Now you need to check a wire diagram to find which wires of the harness
that plugs into the connector controls the OD lockup and the Torque converter lockup.

I would try not to cut into your harness unless absolutely necessary.
The reason being is if this tranny doesnt work or dies you may end up with an RE to put back end there and you will be able to plug it right in.
Try to find a 3 pin female pigtail (junk yard 94 and 95 Rams) for a RH and add pins to the end so that they will push into the correct holes of your truck harness.
Hope this makes sense.
If you do this correctly you may still get CEL because the computer is looking for input from the electronic govenor and you dont have that anymore.

Good luck

Dave

Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Get a paper and rubber kit (all the seals and gaskets) for your RE and swap all the guts out of the RH into it. Then get a shift kit to put in the VB, might as well since you will want to take it apart and clean it anyway. Last swap torque converters since the one in your RE is more than likely full of junk... Where are you located? Maybe I can direct you to a parts supplier for getting a paper and rubber kit.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM
majdi.44

the tail stocking swapped over no problem would the valve body from the 46re work in the rh if i get the wiring to go through the tyranny case some how

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM
majdi.44

i live in kitchener Ontario

Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 AM
majdi.44

anyone ?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by majdi.44
the tail stocking swapped over no problem would the valve body from the 46re work in the rh if i get the wiring to go through the tyranny case some how
As is would have since the bolt pattern and the intermediate shafts are the exact same RH to RE... What you're missing is the stuff to make your RE VB work since it uses an electronic governor.

The number you're looking for is 800 268 2368; that's the Transtar Ind. local branch in Mississauga/Toronto. Give them a call, get your paper and rubber kit, and swap the guts. It will cost you less than $100 for that and if you have a little cash leftover get a shift kit to help it live a little longer. Plus it's a good investment for when you do actually rebuild it unless you just go ahead and do it now since a rebuild kit through them is less than $200 without new bands. Seriously, just call them and price out parts for your RE, maybe you can resell the RH after you put it back together to pay for the rebuild kit

Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
majdi.44

okay im gona pull that rh out and start taking my old 46re apart and swaping the inside , how hard is it to swap it ... i just dont wanan **** something up and have to pull the tranny off again , also my 46re valve body how do i know if its good , because the tranny fluid was so black and had all these little shavings in them... would they have ****ed something in the valve body ?

thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Clean everything. You should dissasemble that valve body to clean it. If you do you should install a shift kit. Be very careful to put everything back together properly.

You will need a slide hammer to remove the front pump. Everything is just stacked up in there. You will understand when you see it.

EVERYTHING MUST BE PUT BACK EXATCLY THE WAY IT CAME OUT.

Also if the valve body had a bunch of metal shavings and you use the 46RH OD unit like I think you have done all those metal shavings will come out of that OD unit and take out the tranny.

Quick Reply: 46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem