2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

DODGE V10 8.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
BransonV10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DODGE V10 8.0L

I have had my 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab for about a year now. Have only put on about 3000 miles on it. It now has 55,600 miles. It has the V10 engine in it. I am very curious about this engine and what experiences others have had with it. If you would have time let me know here how you like yours and how it has been for you... Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM
intekular
Default RE: DODGE V10 8.0L

I have had mine now about 3 months and can say I truly enjoy it. Other than the normal stuff that needs fixed (trackbar and tie rod ends) it has been great. Gas mileage is low but to be expected. The only current problems I have with 90k on the ticker are a leaky oil pan and bad cats. All to be fixed before the end of the year.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I've had mine since January. It had 139,000 when I bought it in Florida. After driving it back up here to Wisconsin, and driving it casually for the last 11 months, it now has 144,000 on it. I love how much raw power the motor has. On occasion, I've been able to smoke the tires into 3rd gear. And I love how the truck accelerates like a freight train. If you take your eyes off of the speedometer on the highway, you can get in trouble. I almost found that out the hard way once Like my dad said when he borrowed it one day, "That truck is fast...damn fast." I've towed a few vehicles on trailers already. I've also pulled a few vehicles out of the snow/mud. There seems to be no lack of torque. [8D] It usually only takes minimal throttle (or sometimes only idle speed) to get someone out of the soup. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm glad I went with the V10 instead of the 12v Diesel I was looking at. Much happier, a lot more power, a lot cheaper to refuel, and a lot more fun to drive.

Last time I checked my economy, I was getting 13.5 highway and a little over 10 city unloaded.

The water pump and the belt tensioner are the only things I've had to replace motor-wise. It does need an IAC motor and a new set of plugs, but I'm storing the truck this winter so those things can wait till spring.

Future modifications include an overhaul of the motor (pan gasket, main seals, piston inspection, etc.), Mopar purple camshaft, custom 2002 pocket ported heads, crower rockers (maybe), Mopar headers, Gibson cat-back, new injectors, ported & polished intake manifolds, Fastman tb, K&N FIPK, DTT Transmission, and a HD transfer case. Oh yeah, and a trip to the local dyno I have a lot of vehicles I'm in the process of restoring, but hopefully I can start on all that in the spring if the funding is available.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
V10
Professional

I love my V10, next year I will be buying a V10 beater to replace my current Gen1 W250 winter beater. It's not easy to drive a 318 powered truck after owning a 10 [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-07-2005, 04:32 AM
BransonV10

Hi again- I was thinking about putting dual exhaust on this truck. Would that be of any advantage at all? If I did this would I need to increase air flow to the engine? I am a mechanical idiot. Again any advice is appreciated....Thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
V10
Professional

Are you looking for sound or performance? The cheapest upgrade would be a cat back system (new muffler with duals out) JBL makes some nice stainless steel shorty headers, you could replace the stock muffler with a dual in dual out Magnaflow followed by duals out. Thats basically what the SRT10 runs. Intake side you could get a K&N.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
BransonV10

ORIGINAL: V10

Are you looking for sound or performance? The cheapest upgrade would be a cat back system (new muffler with duals out) JBL makes some nice stainless steel shorty headers, you could replace the stock muffler with a dual in dual out Magnaflow followed by duals out. Thats basically what the SRT10 runs. Intake side you could get a K&N.

I AM LOOKING FOR PERFORMANCE ONLY. ANYTHING TO ENHANCE THE TRUCK TO HELP IT RUN AND PERFORM TO ITS BEST CAPABILITIES. GAS MILEAGE GAIN WOULD BE NICE BUT THATS NOT WHY I OWN THIS TRUCK. POWER,.. THE K&N THING YOU MENTION IS THAT AN AIR FILTER? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG BUT IN OTHER FORUMS I HAVE READ THAT INCREASING AIR FLOW THROUGH AN AIR FILTER LOSES YOU FILTRATION FOR THE DUST, DIRT ETC. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR ANY HELP.

V10 have you modified anything on your truck?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:45 PM
V10
Professional

ORIGINAL: BransonV10
I AM LOOKING FOR PERFORMANCE ONLY. ANYTHING TO ENHANCE THE TRUCK TO HELP IT RUN AND PERFORM TO ITS BEST CAPABILITIES. GAS MILEAGE GAIN WOULD BE NICE BUT THATS NOT WHY I OWN THIS TRUCK. POWER,.. THE K&N THING YOU MENTION IS THAT AN AIR FILTER? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG BUT IN OTHER FORUMS I HAVE READ THAT INCREASING AIR FLOW THROUGH AN AIR FILTER LOSES YOU FILTRATION FOR THE DUST, DIRT ETC. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR ANY HELP.

V10 have you modified anything on your truck?
Not yet, I bought it in July and put it in storage in November. Programmers and the MP Engine Controllers aren't available for my truck, so I bought a VEC1 (Viper Engine Calibrator) along with a LED air/fuel meter. The VEC1 "fools" the PCM so you can alter the air/fuel ratio along with timing advance or retard in both open and closed loop. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm waiting for a sale on the JBL headers, and will be getting a 52mm TB from Fastman. I'm not sure about the K&N, they are supposedly as efficient as paper and much less restrictive. K&N makes a drop in filter, but I was refering to the FIPK, which replaces the entire stock intake.
http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-1507.jpg

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 PM
TexasIronworker

i have a 99 dodge ram 2500 v-10 auto quad cab 4x4 and it has 110xxx miles i have been all over the central us and this truck has never left me stranded . i love my truck. i have owned it a little over a yr and its the best truck i have owned.i am needing to replace my torque converter which i am doing in a couple months. i have a k&n intake w/ true dual exuast, what can i do to improve fuel milage and torque.

Last edited by TexasIronworker; 10-25-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Quick Reply: DODGE V10 8.0L