2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling with no load when running normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 PM
JonMon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stalling with no load when running normal??

I have a 1995 1500 5,9L v8 4x4 with 377000km

So here's what's happening: I'll be driving down the road, everything feels normal, and (frequently happens going uphill but not always) the RPMS will start to drop a bit, and the truck will kind of bog out if I give it more throttle. As I pull over to the side of the road it gradually makes a hissing noise (out of the air intake) that steadily gets louder until finally the truck dies, or I shut it off. Sometimes it will not start or idle afterwards. This has happened a few times and other times, it starts back up, and drives away fine more or less, and then it stalls/dies further down the road. If I leave it for 10 - 15 minutes, (and let it cool off?) it will drive for a bit, and then stalls/dies in the next 5 minutes or sooner...

The truck sat overnight and drove just fine to the mechanics (unrelated issue). I read something that made me think it may be the IAC so I removed and cleaned that, but the problem persists.. I was thinking maybe: Replace the IAC, or perhaps Camshaft sensor?

ANY thought would be appreciated on the matter, thanks!

Already replaced: Transmission, Engine (not even1k ago), fuel pump, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs/wires, distributor cap..

Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You need to pull off the throttle body and clean everything especially the port for the IAC. Carbon builds up in there and can cause issues. While you are at it look down the TB at the bottom and see if you have oil pooling in there. If so time to do the plenum gasket. This is if it wasn't done when the engine was put in.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

What brand crank position sensor did you put in? And why was it replaced?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:39 AM
JonMon

Originally Posted by Moparite
You need to pull off the throttle body and clean everything especially the port for the IAC. Carbon builds up in there and can cause issues. While you are at it look down the TB at the bottom and see if you have oil pooling in there. If so time to do the plenum gasket. This is if it wasn't done when the engine was put in.

Alright well I did clean the throttle both and IAC quite well... (I thought) I didn't clean out the port. I'll give that a try. I didn't look down into the plwnum , I'll give that a shot too.

IAC more controls the idle I thought? Afterwards if this doesn't work I was thinking cam shaft sensor

Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM
JonMon

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand crank position sensor did you put in? And why was it replaced?

I replaced the crank Shaft sensor at the same time as the engine. I was having this problem prior, AND my engine was burning a pint of oil a week so I figured it was due if I wanted to keep it as my daily driver.

I checked the paperwork and it says Bluestreak crank Shaft sensor

Last edited by JonMon; 07-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by JonMon
Alright well I did clean the throttle both and IAC quite well... (I thought) I didn't clean out the port. I'll give that a try. I didn't look down into the plwnum , I'll give that a shot too.

IAC more controls the idle I thought? Afterwards if this doesn't work I was thinking cam shaft sensor
Correct. When you are driving down the road, the IAC is closed, and has no affect on driveability. Something else is getting hot, and failing.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:09 AM
JonMon

Originally Posted by Moparite
Looks like when the engine was swapped they replaced the distributor cap and rotor, intake manifold gasket, TB mounting gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, EGR gaskets, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, and the thermostat. Along with the crankshaft sensor

Old 07-23-2019, 09:24 AM
dodgister
Rookie

I would clean everything in the throttle.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the crank sensor a genuine mopar sensor??? If not, I would get one, and replace it.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:33 AM
JonMon

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the crank sensor a genuine mopar sensor??? If not, I would get one, and replace it.

No its not a genuine part. I am going to try replacing the cam Shaft sensor and if it still has issues I'm going to get the mechanic who did the crankshaft sensor to look at it and possibly replace with genuine part.

While I'm at it i am going to clean the throttle body and whatnot. Payday isn't for a week and I spent all of my money replacing the engine so I'll get back to you guys

Any other thoughts are appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Stalling with no load when running normal??