2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grease Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease Fittings

It's hard for me to believe but I can only find three grease fittings on my 1500 '01 4x4. One on each of the front wheel knuckles and one on one of the steering crossbars. Am I missing a couple somewhere?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats it. On your 2001, most of the steeing joints should be the "Lubed for Life" type with no grease fitting.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
jamesnb
Professional

Thanks. I just hate that feeling that I'm missing one that's gone dry and is going to cost me $3000 to replace it.

Last edited by jamesnb; 03-26-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
yakkier
Banned

all OEM parts such as u joints track bar and steering linkage wont have grease fittings, Some brand of U joints dont have grease fittings but the better quality ones do.

Sway bar wont have one reguardless of if it's been replaced or not because it doesent have any pivit points.

Thats a good sign most of your stuff is factory and has never been replaced. I think the last time i did mine about 2 weeks ago iv got 5 or 6 grease fittings.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
jamesnb
Professional

Originally Posted by yakkier
all OEM parts such as u joints track bar and steering linkage wont have grease fittings, Some brand of U joints dont have grease fittings but the better quality ones do.

Sway bar wont have one reguardless of if it's been replaced or not because it doesent have any pivit points.

Thats a good sign most of your stuff is factory and has never been replaced. I think the last time i did mine about 2 weeks ago iv got 5 or 6 grease fittings.
I bought the truck new in 2000 and the only steering/suspension/drive train parts I've replaced have been wheel bearings, steering column and the transfer case (under warranty). I'm planning to do the shocks this weekend. The u-joints still seem pretty sound. The rubber boots on the so-called lubed for life joints don't seem to be leaking yet.
I've taken pretty good care of it (followed recommended maintainance, haven't abused it). For the most part, it's held up fine but there are some things that make me wonder what in the wide, wide world of sports Dodge was thinking. For example, attach some grease zerks! I lubed the usual three I could find and spotted about 6 places where I would have put some but there weren't any. Just thought I'd get a second opinion.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
yakkier
Banned

i'll take a pic of where mine are and you can compair

Quick Reply: Grease Fittings