2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
sattalite66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 dodge ss/t and I noticed the tranny fluid is milky color and on the way to work today the transmission quit. I assume the trany cooler is leaking into the radiator because the antifreeze is reddish color. What I am wondering is if the transmission filter gets plugged would that stop the transmission from engauging?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a tranny rebuild, is it always necessary to install a new or rebuilt T.C.? Is there any way of finding out if the old one is reusable? My tranny gave out because I got the lines crossed when installing a remote oil filter so my Overdrive unit gave out. The main case was luckily unaffected. I honestly don't think my T.C. was affected. Could any tranny shop test it and confirm this? Roughly how much would that cost? I'm on a tight budget, but at the same time, if I need to buy it for my tranny, then so be it. Thanks again MonteC, I hope I'm not getting TOO annoying.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put DIYs for all monteC's recommendations in my original question for all to reference.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

There some good info in this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ey-guys-2.html it was started before this one was started.
Maybe we could get it moved here??? MODs???
Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
corbin5754
Rookie
Default Transmission question

I have a 95 dodge ram 5.9 4x4 AT... not sure what the transmission is but ive heard there is only one kind for it my question is i have the transmission pan off im doing a fluid and filter change i noticed A LOT of metal shavings on magnet it has also been slipping is there anything i can check while pan is off

Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
There some good info in this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ey-guys-2.html it was started before this one was started.
Maybe we could get it moved here??? MODs???
Dave
I warned you guys that this area may be periodically cleaned out into new, searchable threads. What would be the point of merging another thread into this one, only to create a new thread later when I clean this one out?

Stop asking questions there, ask them here instead. I will eventually lock that thread down with a note to come here instead.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smoke&dust
Hate to drag this out, but I've got the same basic questions as CPTAFW163. I just bought an 03 Ram CTD with only 59k on the clock. I'm gonna use it to tow my 5500lbs camper. It has a 48re tranny that I'm going to do the fluid/filter/band adjustment on. I'm having trouble finding much about the 48re. Any common problems to look for/what would you recommend I do to bullit proof it?

The 48re is a very stout transmission as is. If you want to bullet proof it... open up your wallet and dump all the money out, lol. They have billet input shafts, intermediate shafts, light weight and high capacity drums, extreme heavy duty torque converters, super apply servos, ect A 5500lb camper is nothing when you think about what the truck is capable of towing. Just keep regular maintenance and dont abuse it. Oh yeah and aux coolers, keep that thing cool!

The 48re is susceptible to much of the same things its 46 and 47 brethren suffer from. The governor pressure system is the main culprit. If things look good in the pan i would slap on a gm epc conversion block, and a sonnax sure cure, to start.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sattalite66
I have a 97 dodge ss/t and I noticed the tranny fluid is milky color and on the way to work today the transmission quit. I assume the trany cooler is leaking into the radiator because the antifreeze is reddish color. What I am wondering is if the transmission filter gets plugged would that stop the transmission from engauging?
If the filter gets clogged to the point that no fluid will pass then yes the transmission will not take gear. There is no fluid to apply the selected clutch, if the torque converter even has fluid in it. But alas, changing the filter may only temporarily alleviate the problem. What ever caused the clogging is an issue, and once the filter clogs it will cause irreversible damage.

Anit freeze or water in the transmission means time for a rebuild. The frictions in the transmission are a paper like material, and are bonded to steel plates using a type of glue. If the temp inside the transmissions boils the water you get steam, and the steam will damage those frictions in a hurry, and just sitting in water deteriorates them.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw
I warned you guys that this area may be periodically cleaned out into new, searchable threads. What would be the point of merging another thread into this one, only to create a new thread later when I clean this one out?

Stop asking questions there, ask them here instead. I will eventually lock that thread down with a note to come here instead.
Sorry Jason my original post was made in the other thread before you created this one.
I thought it might be confuseing to continue the questions here.
Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
On a tranny rebuild, is it always necessary to install a new or rebuilt T.C.? Is there any way of finding out if the old one is reusable? My tranny gave out because I got the lines crossed when installing a remote oil filter so my Overdrive unit gave out. The main case was luckily unaffected. I honestly don't think my T.C. was affected. Could any tranny shop test it and confirm this? Roughly how much would that cost? I'm on a tight budget, but at the same time, if I need to buy it for my tranny, then so be it. Thanks again MonteC, I hope I'm not getting TOO annoying.
Here is a big gray area. Will you ever see me reusing a torque converter on a rebuild? NO. Is a torque converter reusable? 90% of the time, YES.

How long did you run the transmission with the lines on backwords. The converter is in the cooler system, so whatever you did to the cooler lines affected the converter. There really is no way to "test" a converter on the bench. You have to send it to a converter rebuilder and have them cut it open and take a look inside.

What it comes down to is a gamble, im not a gambling man, i have to warranty every transmission i rebuild, so i give a new converter with the rebuild (a cooler as well). Look at the money you have into the transmission, if you can afford to lose that money then take the gamble. If not then you know what to do...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)