2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 PM
jtheshowstoppper
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there have a 98 dodge ram 4x4 5.9 engine and sometimes when i shift outta park into drive or reverse it doesnt catch i can rev it up and its like its in nuetral but if i shift into neutral and rev it i hear like fluid move and then it catches gear. should i junk the tranny? anyone else have this problem? some guy near me has a 518 tranny for sale cheap was wondering if it would bolt up?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:08 AM
jtheshowstoppper
Amateur

or does it sound like a tranny check valve that people take out?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 AM
01ramsprt
Default 2001 Ram problem.

I have a 2001 Ra, 2500 with the 5.9V8 and about 120,000 miles on it. I was driving down the road the other day and I went to climb a hill and I stepped on it to pass someone and the truck shifted from 3rd to 1st skipping 2nd. The rest of the trip it did this whenever it was under pressure, on a level ground or a low grade it shifted normally. When I got to where I was going I went to shut the truck off and it would not let me move the lever to reverse or park. I can move it to neutral and any of the drive positions, and when I put it in drive it seems to drive around the yard just fine. Sorry if this was covered before but I couldnt find it anywhere. Any thoughts?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtheshowstoppper
hi there have a 98 dodge ram 4x4 5.9 engine and sometimes when i shift outta park into drive or reverse it doesnt catch i can rev it up and its like its in nuetral but if i shift into neutral and rev it i hear like fluid move and then it catches gear. should i junk the tranny? anyone else have this problem? some guy near me has a 518 tranny for sale cheap was wondering if it would bolt up?
When does it do this? Mostly after the truck sits? Or randomly?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01ramsprt
I have a 2001 Ra, 2500 with the 5.9V8 and about 120,000 miles on it. I was driving down the road the other day and I went to climb a hill and I stepped on it to pass someone and the truck shifted from 3rd to 1st skipping 2nd. The rest of the trip it did this whenever it was under pressure, on a level ground or a low grade it shifted normally. When I got to where I was going I went to shut the truck off and it would not let me move the lever to reverse or park. I can move it to neutral and any of the drive positions, and when I put it in drive it seems to drive around the yard just fine. Sorry if this was covered before but I couldnt find it anywhere. Any thoughts?

Hmm, disconnect the linkages from the shift shaft and try and put the shift shaft in park. Still wont go into park? Drop the pan and check it out.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Been doing a bit of research on rebuilding my trans, (Thank You VERY much to J415.) and came up with a question...

The truck: 96 Ram 2500 4X4 w/46RE trans.

The question:

22582E Planet, A727/A518/A618 Forward
22584C Planet, A727/A518/A618 Rear(6 Gear)

Considering that my truck is generally just a daily driver, occasionally used for towing a car trailer, and off roading as often as I can.... are these two parts a 'good idea' for me? My engine is stock, and I don't have any real plans to beef it up much. No internal engine mods are in my future. (though a new set of heads might become a requirement at some point....) For my intended use do I need these? or will the stock parts be adequate to the task?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
jtheshowstoppper
Amateur

randomly ill turn it on and then shift into drive it wont move feels like its in neutral but if i rev it sound like fluid moving like under my passenger floor then it catches

Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
chapmanjohnm
Exclamation Tranny Issue!!

Hello, and thanks for your time, having friendly people out there who have been around the block with these sorta things really helps out, and I appreciate your time..

Yesterday I bought a 97 dodge ram 1500 long wheel base 5.2 4x4 automatic with 157,000. In 2002 it had a jasper tranny installed (thats all I know, I found out by calling them myself with the refernce sticker inside the door) the feller I got it from had only owned it for a couple of months and he traded for it from another guy and yada yada it makes its way to me lol.....The truck has been sitting probably 99% of the time, based on the numbers on the title since the first of Feb 2009 its had less than 700 miles put on it so I am expecting some gremlins....

It starts and runs fine, I drove it 50 miles home after buying it yesterday but the tranny seems to have a sweet spot. When going slow and between shifts it seems to wanna shift pretty harsh, if you feather the throttle any, however it seems to shift firm and fast as it should when you just hold it down and let it wind out. Tranny doesnt slip, fluid levels are fine and look and smell good. This is my first dodge ram, I bought it as a fixer and I got a pretty good deal on it.

Today I began my ritual of getting it back to being road worthy and to be honest from the looks of things this is probably the first maintenance this truck has seen in a long time (ancient oil filer, dirty oil, needed plugs / air filter....etc) I plan on getting around to dropping the pan and changing the filter in the next couple of days, I bought the hayes manual I consider myself mechanically inclined and I have enough tools to get about any job done....

Is there anything that it would be in my best intrest to inspect and/or change considering the way this truck shifts....I mean if you pull out and drive normal (I am heavy footed) it shifts awesome, but if you pull out and let off the gas its harsh (feels like a bad engine or tranny mount harsh)

Im sorry for the novel I guess its better to overexplain than underexplain lol...I read like the first 14 pages of this sticky and really didnt find any info that I thought pertained to my situation, thanks for the time have a nice day....

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Been doing a bit of research on rebuilding my trans, (Thank You VERY much to J415.) and came up with a question...

The truck: 96 Ram 2500 4X4 w/46RE trans.

The question:

22582E Planet, A727/A518/A618 Forward
22584C Planet, A727/A518/A618 Rear(6 Gear)

Considering that my truck is generally just a daily driver, occasionally used for towing a car trailer, and off roading as often as I can.... are these two parts a 'good idea' for me? My engine is stock, and I don't have any real plans to beef it up much. No internal engine mods are in my future. (though a new set of heads might become a requirement at some point....) For my intended use do I need these? or will the stock parts be adequate to the task?
The stock parts will be adequate. If you get into heavy towing or high horsepower you may want to upgrade.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jtheshowstoppper
randomly ill turn it on and then shift into drive it wont move feels like its in neutral but if i rev it sound like fluid moving like under my passenger floor then it catches
I think the rushing fluid may be a different problem and not related to the transmission. Ive heard that noise also on 5spd rams, has to do with the heater core.

But the neutral in reverse or drive could be a severe condition of converter drain back. A sonnax sure cure will fix a drain back issue. There is always the possibility that you have bigger problems, so i would drop the pan and see what condition the unit is in before going any further.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)