2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
ghost4321
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the TV cable was fine, other than the clip being very brittle that is. I'll let you know if anything changes after I replace it.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Well I guess that really was the problem, it doesn't seem to be doing it now. Thanks Montec.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kringl
thats after a trans flush with filter wile hot in drive on the lift. 35 psi then,was 25-30 before and thats the psi gague on the transtech and to rule out a partially blocked cooler i also hooked up the lines bypassing the radiator cooler with no change.
and thanks for even having this forum you really know your stuff
Put an actual gauge on it. Thats sounds very low. Should be around 65ish in drive at idle, warm. Then it will boost up with throttle.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mpatrick19
Ok here's another question should the 3-4 shift valve come out of the valve body without separating it?
Ill have to look at a diagram i cant remember which one it is, either the lock up valve or the 3-4 shift valve can come out if you remove the 3-4 accumulator housing, along with another larger valve. Ill have to look them up tomorrow while im at the shop.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 PM
minitrucker
Amateur

ok i have a 2001 ram 1500 5.2 46re...... it makes a sqweeeeek sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd...... feels sluggish..... fluid is clean... has 30k miles on rebuild any ideas thanks !......also would it be ok too bypass the stock tranny cooler, and just run a big aftermarket one ?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM
blackimpala1

First of all I want to say that I have a tremendous amount of respect for a professional that will take the time to help us average guys, thank you. I didn't want to wast your time so I read all 42 pages, up to now. I have the 47re out of my 96 2500 diesel about 200K miles. I am rebuilding it myself, everything in the main case looked good, very little wear, thought I was wasting my time. Had to have a rebuilder do the OD, I have no way to compress the spring, when I picked it up he showed me the burnt clutches. (1) why would they go bad when all the others look new? (2) I think I read somewhere that you can enlarge a hole in the case to get more fluid back there, if so how big should I drill it? Can you tell me how I can flush my cooler and what to use? I also would like to get rid of the plastic locks on the cooler lines by going to hose. Can you tell me the thread type that gos into the transmission, I have read, again, that a pipe thread can crack the case if put in to tight. This is my first rebuild and I am a bit apprehensive, but I have the FSM and am following it to the letter. Just a note, I stay pretty much in the diesel forums and they talk about replacing the TPS with a potenceometer, I know that is spilled wrong but my spell check doesn't know how to spell it eather. I have links to it if you would like them.

Floyd

Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

Thought I would do a follow up with MonteC. I was the guy who found the band strut laying in the bottom of my pan that drove it like this from New York to Louisiana.

having done a complete service without physically taking out the transmission I did replaced the governor sol and transducer (I also found the temperature wiring for it and spliced in a Transmission Temp Gauge coming right from the sensor. I flushed out my trans lines and cooler by forcing diesel fuel through it until it blew clear, removed the check valve, added a drain plug to the plan, and finally I replaced the output speed sensor, since it only worked if it was tapped on with the butt end of a screwdriver.

All this has resulted in perfect performance from a transmission that has had a very rough life. My temps are right around 185-195 even when pulling the trailer, I know 10 to 20 cooler would be nice and I will get an aftermarket cooler eventually but I believe rejuvenating the stock cooler helped just as much as going through the transmission. I expect to be forced to rebuild the trans in the next 40-60K miles I suspect my O/D unit is having problems still but I only use O/D when not towing so there is little stress on it. What would it cost to have the unit rebuilt separately from the trans?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Road Agent

Hey Monte, I wanted to thank you again for all your help yesterday on my transmission thread, I put another pint of fluid in the 46re, that's six quarts, there's no external leaks and it's still not to the top of the fill line. Sometimes when I check it hot in neutral, it's way low on the dipstick and sometimes dosen't register at all. Then I'll check it again and it will be almost to the top fill line. Don't know whats going on. Please advise.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by minitrucker
ok i have a 2001 ram 1500 5.2 46re...... it makes a sqweeeeek sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd...... feels sluggish..... fluid is clean... has 30k miles on rebuild any ideas thanks !......also would it be ok too bypass the stock tranny cooler, and just run a big aftermarket one ?
Could be the friction material or the wrong fluid. Try and additive like smart blend (black).

If you have not bypassed the stock cooler, do it NOW.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
Thought I would do a follow up with MonteC. I was the guy who found the band strut laying in the bottom of my pan that drove it like this from New York to Louisiana.

having done a complete service without physically taking out the transmission I did replaced the governor sol and transducer (I also found the temperature wiring for it and spliced in a Transmission Temp Gauge coming right from the sensor. I flushed out my trans lines and cooler by forcing diesel fuel through it until it blew clear, removed the check valve, added a drain plug to the plan, and finally I replaced the output speed sensor, since it only worked if it was tapped on with the butt end of a screwdriver.

All this has resulted in perfect performance from a transmission that has had a very rough life. My temps are right around 185-195 even when pulling the trailer, I know 10 to 20 cooler would be nice and I will get an aftermarket cooler eventually but I believe rejuvenating the stock cooler helped just as much as going through the transmission. I expect to be forced to rebuild the trans in the next 40-60K miles I suspect my O/D unit is having problems still but I only use O/D when not towing so there is little stress on it. What would it cost to have the unit rebuilt separately from the trans?
I would expect 350-500. Dont really know, ive never priced out just the o/d unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)