2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey monteC, had a quick question, i have a 46RE and my trans doesnt shift into OD until i hit 57mph, any way to change this? electronic? or is it internal? id really like it to hit sooner, most speed limits are 45-50 around here and riding around in 3rd gear is reckless on gas milage

Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 AM
ster36
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Mr MonteC,

I have a question? I have a 1999 dodge 2500 turbo cummins. My problem is that between 50 and 60 mph at 1700-1800 the truck will flutter about 200 rpm below 50 or over 60 there is no problem and no problem when my over drive is off. And no problem in park or neutral rpm will hold steady. My thoughts are either a sensor or a TV Cable. My first instict is a TV Cable like its out of adjustment and trying to shift up and down constantly. This problem happend quickly. I started it and went to dinner with the family no problems left dinner and it started doing it on the freeway. Any thoughts would be grateful, My family and I are moving back to wyoming from washington and I'm pulling a Uhaul. A good running truck would be nice....Thank You

Sterling

Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MonteC, I have a question. I am having my transmission rebuilt at my college by my roomate. We put the transmission back in after the rebuild. Reverse and First gear work fine but it wont shift into second or third. The rebuild kit was a 46re Mopar Master Rebuild kit. The solenoids were not replaced, could that be a problem. It is going to get pressure tested tomorrow, is there anything you would recommend doing.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
hey monteC, had a quick question, i have a 46RE and my trans doesnt shift into OD until i hit 57mph, any way to change this? electronic? or is it internal? id really like it to hit sooner, most speed limits are 45-50 around here and riding around in 3rd gear is reckless on gas milage
Your TPS may need adjusting.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ster36
Greetings Mr MonteC,

I have a question? I have a 1999 dodge 2500 turbo cummins. My problem is that between 50 and 60 mph at 1700-1800 the truck will flutter about 200 rpm below 50 or over 60 there is no problem and no problem when my over drive is off. And no problem in park or neutral rpm will hold steady. My thoughts are either a sensor or a TV Cable. My first instict is a TV Cable like its out of adjustment and trying to shift up and down constantly. This problem happend quickly. I started it and went to dinner with the family no problems left dinner and it started doing it on the freeway. Any thoughts would be grateful, My family and I are moving back to wyoming from washington and I'm pulling a Uhaul. A good running truck would be nice....Thank You

Sterling
Check all of your grounds and get the computer re flashed by the dealer.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by suburban99
Hey new to the forum but not to Dodge.
I bought a 1995 dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L with the 46RH transmission in the back of the truck. I did not remove transmission. We are working on as a father and son project. My Son and I rebuilt the tranny and we re-installed it today. We could not test the engine as the torque convertor engages the starter and the transmissiion was out when I bought it. The look on my Son's face whenit started was worth the $850.00 I paid for the truck..My questions are: Where do the steel lines that come down the right side frame from the 4x4 actuator on the axle go? They run as far as the transfer case area and have rubber connections on the ends. Also there is a small tubing that is on top of the transmission, high up near the distributor and it looks like a vent as I connot find anywhere where it plugs in. Also need to know where the small spring near the shifter lever on the transmission where does it go? And lastly what about the routing of the kickdown cable? any help or pictures appreciated. Thanks
Little bit out of my expertise. If its internal i can usually help. External... eh i know a little.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zacariah24
Hello, New to the forum and this is my first post. I have look and searched the forum for my problem but i could not find an answer. I have a 1996 ram 1500 with 200k+. I was driving threw a bad rain storm the other day and my trans i think went in to limp mode after driving threw a flooded road. About 4 0r 5 hours later when I went to drive my truck home all was fine. Two days later on a very dry day after driving my truck to the parts store it started to do the same thing. So I guess my question is would driving through a lot of water mess my trans up or is there some thing else I should be worried about?
Um, yes. Driving though flooded roads can cause damage. Electrical current doesnt like water. Ask car owners after Katrina.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jamjet
Hello Monte

Purchased a mint 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with 120K, during the test drive the tranny failed. During the test drive at WOT there was no passing gear (kickdown). The engine would rev prior to any shift and felt sluggage, a little bucking after starting from a stop, which led to slipping to the point where when the accelarator was pressed the RPM would increase as if you feathered a manual transmission to where the clutch was not firmly against the flywheel. Finally the truck would not move at all. Reverse is the same. Now when the truck is shifted into ANY gear, it is as if it is in neutral (No sounds or whining). Was already getting a good deal, a grand was taken off the purchase price and I figured I would use that money to go for a rebuild per your parts list and have a stellar and reliable transmission

Have not dropped the pan yet, will tomorrow
No codes pulled yet
No check engine light
Fluid level may have been overfilled per dipstick...truck is on an incline will recheck with truck level

I am assuming it is a mechanical internal/linkage problem?
Could this be any kind of electrical signal/solenoid problem?

Regardless, I plan on the rebuild to ensure I have a reliable tranny.

Thank you for your guidance

Youre on the right track. It sounds like an internal problem, not electrical.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 95RAM31846RH
Sorry if this has been adressed before. I searched through 23 pages of Montec's Corner and couldnt find the exact answer so hopefully this will help me.

I have a 95 Ram 1500 with 318 / 46RH trans. The trans needs rebuilt as it is slipping in OD. I have the opportunity to get a replacement cheaper than rebuild and was wondering what I could put in there.

I know 96 was the year they changed to the electronic shift, however, are there any transmissions other than the 46H that will work in this vehicle?

I saw a 94 today that said it had an A518 behind a 318 on the same plate under the hood where mine says 46RH... Is this the same or different?

Thanks for the help
If its an RH with a three prong connector it should work.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nando Vazquez
MonteC, I have a question. I am having my transmission rebuilt at my college by my roomate. We put the transmission back in after the rebuild. Reverse and First gear work fine but it wont shift into second or third. The rebuild kit was a 46re Mopar Master Rebuild kit. The solenoids were not replaced, could that be a problem. It is going to get pressure tested tomorrow, is there anything you would recommend doing.
Originally Posted by jKsled
Thanks for the help! a couple questions to clarify...
I thought limp mode was second gear?

Should I worry about the code that is popping up then for the fluid pressure solenoid? I am assuming this is referring to the governer pressure solenoid...

How would I go about testing the computer? swap one out?
is it possible it is still in limp mode from before the rebuild? reset it somehow?

Had another problem today, though unrelated to the limp mode problem.
When I first filled it up with fluid, I noticed a leak from the front. However, it seemed like the leak cured itself after I sweared at it a few times.
Today however, the leak came back, big time, and swear words wouldn't cure it.
After taking it out again, here is what I thought. It almost seems like when i bolt the TC to the flexplate it pulls the TC out far enough that it might not be sealing??? I don't have any clue why it would do this, but it seems like it does. and the mating surfaces were all flush between engine and tranny.

secondly, I did find that the second front seal on the input shaft had broken off. I found both parts just laying in there. However, I don't think this would actually cause the major leak?
Guys, its really tough to trying and figure out a problem after someone else has been into the transmission. I try and assume that youve done everything correctly but thats just not the case. Ive done that myself. I ll have a problem and assume that everything i did is correct and come to find out i put a valve in backwards or something stupid like that. My suggestion would be to go back and go over what you did VERY closely.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)