2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Virtigod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a head scratcher (at least for me)

1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500, 318..... 46re

Couple months back, I found a band strut stuck to the magnet in my pan....
Shortly thereafter, gradually had slipping in the trans until i completely lost all gears (including reverse).
Fast forward to a week ago, I just finished installing a rebuilt 46re. Initially, it seemed as though everything was fine, until the test drive. I was unable to reliably engage any of the gears.
I limped it back home, and that's where I am now.

Symptoms: Upon startup (after it sits a while), the van will go into reverse, and drive (1st gear I assume) for a few moments, then it loses the gear; then I have neither. Shutting the van off for a while and restarting it gives me the same short-lived transmission engaging.

Things I've done:
1)Checked fluid levels (ATF+4, in neutral) to ensure proper levels
2)Replaced gov. sensor & trans solenoid (remanufactured)
3)NO TROUBLE CODES are present
4)Inspected all related wiring from transmission (visually, continuity to PCM, etc.)
5)TV Cable adjusted

I'm tearing my hair out here..... any ideas?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Have a chat with whomever rebuilt your trans.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
webechillin
Default Line pressure adjustment ?

Hi Monte
Thanks for the invaluable time and effort you put into all this!
I have a ? about the line pressure adjustment setting for a 1999 Durango 5.2 4X4, it is a 44re with the extra clutches. Unmodified trans, and I just rebuilt it myself.
The FSM shows 1 5/16" from the valve body to the spring retainer on the adjustment screw on the VB for the Line pressure adjustment.
IS this written in stone?
The reason I am asking is because I put a used VB in the trans at rebuild and the Pressure adjusting screw spring plate was all the way out to the bracket that holds all the springs. I put it in the trans like this.
I have seen this set like this on a shift kit modified VB but not a stock.
Ever see this from the factory?
The transmission shifts good with nice firm shifts with moderate pedal, (maybe a tad to firm for stock) but with very light pedal it does not like to shift out of 2nd until I hit 30mph or so, unless I let my foot off the gas. Then it klunks into 3rd gear. 3-4 is good and TC lockup is good.
Would the Pressure adjustment cause this?
Some video of gauge readings
What I read on the gauge was
@ 0mph on speedo w/brake applied 0PSIG
@ idle speedo shows 20MPH steady, w/ no brake applied, 0 to 15PSIG fluctuating like a heartbeat.
@ 20MPH 25-30PSIG fluctuating
@ 40 MPH 45PSIG Steady
@ 65MPH about 65PSIG
In neutral the speedo says 20MPH, 0PSIG back wheels spinning about 20 mph, is this normal?

Update.
Today I swapped out the pressure sensor, pressure solenoid, and set the line pressure adjuster screw to the 1 5/16" as per the manual.
The governor port PSIG fluctuation dramatically increased in speed and amplitude at all speeds up to about 70MPH. Pressure would bounce around rapidly about + 10 to -10 PSI depending on speed, more bounce with more speed, less bounce with less speed. The bounce looked proportional to speed however. At 80MPH PSIG was steady.
The solenoid and sensor I put in was of questionable condition, they were used from my old valve body before the rebuild.

Any ideas on whats going on besides the sol and sensor, guess I'll get new ones and see what that does.

Thanks,
Webechillin

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
ketram
Default No Drive or reverse

I just finished changing the heater core out in my 2002 Ram. Now I have no drive or reverse. It grinds when I put it back to park.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
95BIGRED
Professional

Ok I know I'm beating a dead horse but 51 pages is a lot to sift through to find an answer. I have a 95 1500 4x4 5.9. I'm assuming i have the 46re tranny. According to the past owner the tranny was replaced around 100,000 miles. I now have 133,000 on the truck. I'm planning on adding some horsepower and I know that our tranny isn't that great stock. How much would I be looking to spend to beef this tranny up a little? What do I need to adress while I'm in there, and how much do you think it would be to have a shop do the rebuild for me?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
95BIGRED
Professional

correction 82 pages not 51

Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM
mfabris04
Amateur
Default Shutter/Hesitation at 45

I've been looking all over the forum and other forums for this problem but I can't find an answer.

When my truck shifts into 4th with o/d on (which is around 45) and I let off the gas and hit the gas again or go up a hill the truck seems to shutter or hesitate until I give it more gas and the rpms go above 1500. It seems to have this problem from rpm range 1000 to 1500. When o/d is off it still does this in 3rd but at a higher mph.

I've changed the filter and fluid and TPS and still no help. Before I changed the fluid/filter there was a grinding noise cycling on and off in 2-3 second intervals.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie

Originally Posted by MonteC
The lock up clutch inside the converter is not disengaging. The converter is only applied after 3rd gear. That is way 1,2 and rev are fine.

just to further explain myself, while in "D" and coming to a stop it stalls. while in "1" and coming to a stop its fine

what can be done about this? what should i check?

thanks alot for the help

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please excuse me if this has been answered before -- I'm just a tad too pissed off just now to have brain enough left for searching.

Does anyone know the approximate temperature at which the Trans Temp light comes on in a 46RE? The dipsh1ts who installed my transmission and remote filter got the filter lines backwards, which of course means the anti-drainback valve in the filter was closed... and I'm hotter than the transmission ever got.

I'm on my way out to reverse the lines now...

Edited to add: Reversing the lines warmed the filter right up and lowered the ATF level on the dipstick, so that part's right until the idiots get hold of it again tomorrow. R&Ring a transmission shouldn't be a three day affair. I'd still greatly appreciate an answer if anyone has it, with great thanks in advance for it.

Edited again: Now that it's normal business hours again, I called PATC and got my answer: 250-260 degrees, and the right thing to do is to change out the ATF that's cooked. They say that if they'd made such a blunder, they'd do that straight away with no hassles and offer a free car wash, too.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 PM
bcraig88
Default 95 46rh tranny problems

hello all, I am having some issues with a 46rh transmission, it is a recent rebuild. I installed changed the fluid and filter and upon test driving it just doesnt seem to be acting right. It shifts from 1st to 2nd around 3500 rpms it will not shift from 2nd to 3rd no matter if i dummy shift or not and it will not shift into od, the warranty is soon to be up i just need to know if it sounds like a band adjustment issue or a faulty trans. I would hate to pull it out if its a simple fix but don't want to be out the money by letting my warranty expire any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)