2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elite1msmith
just to further explain myself, while in "D" and coming to a stop it stalls. while in "1" and coming to a stop its fine

what can be done about this? what should i check?

thanks alot for the help
Also, is there a way to keep it from locking up...this is a plow truck and doesn't need to drive faster than 40-50 mph. And will only be used in the snow

Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MonteC I am looking to get a shift kit for my 95 1500 and was wanting to as you some questions. I talked to a lot of people and some say a shift kit will be harder on my trans and some say it will be easer on it because of the quick shifts. I was wondering if you could give me the pros and cons on shift kits and what one you would get if you were me. I do tow with my truck and it is a dd I don't think the hard shifts would bother me. I am also going to put my deep pan on , my temp gauge, my trans and oil cooler, and a remote transmission filter on when I put the shift kit in. Any help would be great. Thanks
This is the kit I am looking at what do you think
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10227/

Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 AM
TomCs
Default 47RE and transgo help

1998 Dodge Ram 3500 12V 47RE. I am putting in a Transgo shift kit and the instructions and pics are a bit sparse. Not to mention my own mistake of not remembering, but before I put the modified valve body back together I have 2 pieces I just can't remember, One is a small basket type screen about and 1" high and 5/8 round. Obviously a fluid screen, but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from. The other is a small (3/16") stainless check ball or ball bearing. I know where all the other check ***** go and all the valves springs etc. Just those 2 pieces.

So, if anyone could help, I would be greatful.

Thank you
TomCs

Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Well My truck is going back to the transmission shop. I had it rebuilt and now it seems to hold on to second gear too long and the engine starts to backfire . I have to let off the gas or get onto it in order for it to shift to 3rd . Is there something on the transmission that is adjustable that could cause the delay in the shift and cause the backfire? I know the TV cable adjusts the shift points but the backfiring is driving me crazy and it didn't do it before the rebuild. Any help would be appreciated...I will keep you posted on my transmission guys findings as well . Thank you

Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
markc522
Rookie

Ive posted here a while back. The truck was new to me, so I wasnt real clear on what was happening.
I changed the filter, and fluid and added some red stuff.
The thing that makes me nervous is the overdrive shift. It revs up, so I assume its slipping. Doesnt happen all the time.
Bands need adjustment? Probably never been done.
2001 1500 115k miles. Am I too late? Can I milk this a while longer? Any advice?

Also, would adding a tuner be a bad idea while the trans isnt 100%, or could it help by giving the engine more power. Seems like it wouldnt have to shift as much.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
97vee10

i was looking through my haynes repair manuel, and noticed that they listed the specs for front band adjustment on ALL 96-97 transmissions at 2-7/8 turns, i was wondering if this was correct because all info i find on the internet says the 47re/rh transmissions adjustments are 1-7/8 turns. just wondering what info to lisen to.
thanks,
97vee10

Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM
atd51
Default 2002 Dodge Ram no reverse

Looks like you are the man with Ram Transmissions. My son has a 2002 Dodge Ram 5.9 2wd with a 46re and 106k mi on it. We recently had issues with it not shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I replaced and upgraded the solenoids with Borg Warner's and the problem went away. Three weeks later the truck has no reverse. All forward gears are fine and shift properly. I tried adjusting bands but it did nothing. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? No broken bands or pieces in the pan. I have a chance to get a rebuilt 46re out of a 1998 Ram 5.9L 2wd. Are these two transmissions interchangeable? Will I need to swap electronics from my trans to the 1998 Trans??? Any help much appreciated (college kid with lack of extra funds).

Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It appears Monte has been MIA for about a month now. Has anyone heard from him?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Mudd8227

Hi Monte. I posted on here in the spring that my transmission was shot and that I found metal in the pan. I haven't had the money till now to address it. My question is what transmissions will fit in my truck. I have a '98 with the 46re. I know that. My local salvage yard says I need one out of a '98 or a '99 only. But I see 46re transmissions out of older (96-97) trucks and even out of Durango's and Dakota's. Will these work in my truck? I know the 46rh's out of the early 90's won't, and my truck is also 4x4 so I know one out of a 2wd won't work unless I change the tail shaft (and at that point I might as well just rebuild my trans). Any advice you have on this will be much appreciated, again. I do appreciate your help before. Also, when I took my pan off before I had metal slivers in it about 2"-3" long and 1/8" thick. If I can't find a used transmission to put in it. Do you think the "Rebuilding kit" with the steals and clutches would be what I need, or does it sound like a gear or something went bad. I'll tell you what it was doing to me before it died. I was driving up a ramp for a parking garage and I lost all power and started rolling backward. If I reved the motor up to about 3k it would finally engage and creep along. After I let it sit for a while, it seems like it was ok for about a 1/2 mile. Doesn't matter if it's 1,2,D or R it would do the same thing. Thanks again in advance.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Joe Daddy

1st, great thread, unfortunatly my computor takes years to load a page so i skipped to the end.

Just bought a 95 2wd 1500 5.9 that only goes into any gear when cold. i was told that it needs a new pump. Could there be an easier fix that could be the prob instead? It will shift great and firm for about a mile then nothing, like it is in nuetral, no slipping just nothing.

thanks in advance!
joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)