2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
str8fknup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 V10 tranny problems

Hi MonteC, I am having a problem with my truck, it has a delayed shift from 1st to 2nd and sometimes wont shift from 2nd to third. I have changed all the solonoids in the transmission and have also adjusted the bands. I am getting no fault codes on my obd scantool, except that when i go into enhanced dtc's it will communicate with the engine but says it cannot establish a link with the transmission....Please help

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pacdaddy
Respectfully requesting MonteC's assistance...

I know that issues are sometimes difficult to diagnose over the internet based on limited description of the problem so I'll be as descriptive as possible.

The truck belongs to my paw-in-law. It has about 59k miles. A couple of weeks ago he leaves for work and somewhere between 40 and 50 mph a sudden BAM! happens which feels as though someone locked he brakes up OR like the front end on the 4x4 tried to engage. There was a loud barking of the tires. The truck does this several times before going into "limp" mode in 4th gear. (Yes, I've been reading the forum because I KNOW no one wants to answer the same question 100 times just because someone doesn't want to do a little research). Of course, when he parks the truck and turns it off and gets back in it it goes thru this whole process again.

Here's the kicker....He's figured out that he can feather the peddle thru the 40 - 50 mph zone and he gets the same reaction only significantly more subtle. When he feathers it just so he can get thru the issue and the truck shifts normal so long as he is driving OVER 50 mph. The truck will correctly and without issue engage the passing gear and everything. This is okay for the drive into town every morning but driving in town all day is extremely problematic.

Of course - the stealership says the lifetime powertrain warranty doesn't cover the tranny. They told him to buy a new set of tires. He did and it didn't fix it. (I had no faith whatsoever that it would....)

A buddy pulled the following codes: P2262, P2563 and something like R0700 or P0700. He can't remember...

Any ideas? We need some help...

Oh, he has a automatic 6 speed transmission. What is that? 46RE? 47RH? I don't know....

Oh goody. Im sorry to say that for you the days of the RE transmissions are OVER. Your paw in law most likely has a Mercedes 722.6 in his truck. Chrysler stopped using all RE transmissions in 02. (except for the 48re in the 3/4 and 1 ton chassis). Im guessing your dad in law has an 06-09 ram?

If you do indeed have the 722.6 then im sorry to say that the planetaries are gone internally. If its bad enough for the tires to lock up then its time for a serious overhaul. The 722.6 is a very expensive transmission to fix and only certain builders should even think about tackling them.

Right now im just assuming. I need to know the year and engine size to properly tell you what you have.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
If you're brave enough to pull it out and snap pics, Monte might be able to tell you from here. Not sure how much you've fiddled with the valve body before but there are removal direction here on the forum.
Id be more than happy to help.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
Hello MonteC, I rebuilt my O/D unit seperate from the transmission as I had a decent look inside doing the band fix and didn't find any problems. however I noted some light throttle slipping in O/D that seemed to play itself as burnt clutches. It was easy to do, I ended up adding one fiber clutch and putting a thinner steel *place name of piece that goes at the top of the pack here, on it. Reinstalled after giving it a atf bath. A quick drive and I knew I hit the money. Again, jut wanted to extend you a thanks for providing us with a Q and A forum.
Glad you got it worked out.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WhisperBark
I have a question that I hope has a quick and easy answer. I am going to pull my transmission from my 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 while it sits in my driveway. My question is should I remove the transfer case before removing the transmission or should I leave it on until I get it on the bench in my garage?
Also, if anybody has any advice on how to make this as painless as possible, I am all-ears.
David in L.A.
Standard practice for most is to pull the T case first then the transmission.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by str8fknup
Hi MonteC, I am having a problem with my truck, it has a delayed shift from 1st to 2nd and sometimes wont shift from 2nd to third. I have changed all the solonoids in the transmission and have also adjusted the bands. I am getting no fault codes on my obd scantool, except that when i go into enhanced dtc's it will communicate with the engine but says it cannot establish a link with the transmission....Please help
Make sure all of your fuse's and relays are good. Then try adjusting the tv cable.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by markc522
Just ordered 2 bottles. (just to have an extra)

I adjusted the tv cabe a few times now, the result is a firmer longer revving shift.
My next issues are: (these may go away with the smart blend, I HOPE)
1. When going into od the rpms go up just a smidge before droping into gear.
2. Im getting a transmission whine/whirring sound.
3. It seems to shift at odd times everynow and then, mostly its when accelerating from 40's on up. When I need it to shift down its completely random on whether or not it does. Dont get me wrong, when I floor it, it works fine, acctually a little hard at WOT. I wonder if this is just a power issue?
(this is my 1st automatic, nothing but stick since I started driving 12yrs ago, thank you forum members for the patience of a noob)

Again, the truck has 112k miles on the stock trans with 4.10 and 35's.
Put the blend in and then report back.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 AM
jKsled

Hey, first time on this forum... Anyways, I just finished rebuilding my transmission. a 1996 5.9L 46RE 4x4. I got the complete kit from TCI. new electronics inside the valve body. New TQ. After getting it all back together, there are a few problems still, some that are the same as before the rebuild. Here is a list of the problems..

-starts in 3rd gear... same as before the rebuild
-won't downshift unless I manually move the shifter.
-won't shift into o/d
-it's throwing codes for "transmission pressure control solenoid"
I did replace all of the solenoids in the valve body... the complete wiring harness with the 2 seperate solenoids and the o/d solenoid. So why would it still be throwing this code?

the speed sensor is also not working but i'm not sure if that would be related.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Pacdaddy

Originally Posted by MonteC
Oh goody. Im sorry to say that for you the days of the RE transmissions are OVER. Your paw in law most likely has a Mercedes 722.6 in his truck. Chrysler stopped using all RE transmissions in 02. (except for the 48re in the 3/4 and 1 ton chassis). Im guessing your dad in law has an 06-09 ram?

If you do indeed have the 722.6 then im sorry to say that the planetaries are gone internally. If its bad enough for the tires to lock up then its time for a serious overhaul. The 722.6 is a very expensive transmission to fix and only certain builders should even think about tackling them.

Right now im just assuming. I need to know the year and engine size to properly tell you what you have.
MonteC, thanks for responding. He has a 2008 2500 4x4 with a 6-speed automatic behind the 6.7 Cummins diesel. Complete overhaul? Ughhh...The stealership just recently said he needed to have the "valve body" replaced.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pacdaddy
MonteC, thanks for responding. He has a 2008 2500 4x4 with a 6-speed automatic behind the 6.7 Cummins diesel. Complete overhaul? Ughhh...The stealership just recently said he needed to have the "valve body" replaced.
ok. a 2500 truck. You DONT have the Mercedes unit, that was in the 1500 trucks. Behind the cummins should be the 68RFE. The RFE line came out in 02-03 First as the 45RFE behind the 4.7l, then they had the 545RFE and now the 68RFE. The RFE transmissions replaced the RH/RE transmissions.

That being said the 68RFE is a BRAND new transmission, just came out in 06 or so. I have not had the pleasure of seeing a dodge this new with that transmission and i know very little about it. It should be similar to the 45RFE which i have encountered before but ive never heard of the transmission locking up.

Sorry man, gonna have to trust your dealer on this one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MonteC's Transmission Corner (For Info Only)