2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What circuit is the cargo light on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
thegr8schlotzky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What circuit is the cargo light on?

1997 Ram 2500 V10, cargo light won't work, nor will the dome light. I would assume it's a wiring problem in the bundle of wires that goes up to the back of the truck, but the high mount stop lamp still works, as well as the roof console, including auto-dim mirror/compass/maps lights. Before tearing in, I'd like to know if this is a common problem or at least what circuits I should be checking.

Obviously replaced all the bulbs, also replaced the headlight switch thinking that was the problem, checked as much of the wires as I could find. I'll have the carpet out for a swap soon so I'll check along the floor pan, but I am not able to figure out which fuse these items are on as neither fuse diagram mentions interior lights.

Input?

TIA

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the IOD fuse, I think thats the name of it

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
thegr8schlotzky

Thanks for the reply.

That fuse has some weird yellow plastic thing on it, looks like some type of fuse puller, but I can't get it out. Not sure what that's about, but I checked it and it was good, replaced it for the heck of it and still nothing.

What else is on that circuit so I can confirm if some or all of it is not working?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Do you have a test light? if so I would check to see if you have power at the lights if not check fuses, can be done quickly with a test light, need a refresher with the fuse panel so will look at it tomarrow and be able to help you more, if someone doesnt

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Diefenbaker
Rookie

There are 2 connectors at the rear of the headlight switch.

Check first for a good ground at connector C1 pin 1.

If there is ground check the switch itself:
-take the headlight switch out
-switch to the dome light position
-check for continuity at the switch between the both pins of connector C1
-switch to the cargo light switch
-check for continuity between the pins C2-D and C1-1

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
KYHI
Rookie

The cargo, dome and radio memory all are on the same fuse.. (IOD fuse)

Turn the key on and use a grounded test light and test each side (top post) of the fuses in the interior fuse box, the light should light on both sides of the fuse - otherwise that fuse is blown..

If all the fuses are good, it may be in the headlight switch

Last edited by KYHI; 05-04-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 AM
thegr8schlotzky

Originally Posted by KYHI
The cargo, dome and radio memory all are on the same fuse.. (IOD fuse)
That's interesting. I had never noticed a problem with the radio memory before (although the truck is fairly rarely driven) but tonight I was driving it and noticed the clock on the deck read 2:00am. This makes me think there is a problem on the IOD circuit as it seems these three things aren't working.

Of course, like I said I checked the fuse and it was good and replaced it anyway, so i'll look more in depth tomorrow.

Like I said, I checked the headlight switch out and replaced it even though it seemed good with no luck. I'll check fuse box connections etc tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
thegr8schlotzky

Thanks for the info, guys. The power wire that ran to the roof of the truck was punctured and corroded under the driver foot-well's carpet. Replaced a length of wire and it is all working. I think I've got a leak in the windshield or something though because the insulation was very wet. Visually I didn't notice any problems on the windshield or firewall.. anything I should be aware of?

I'll have to check more in depth but if it's not uncommon I'd love to be led in a certain direction.

thanks again

Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
KYHI
Rookie

if it is not rain water - it maybe from a clogged A/C airbox drain tube..

the drain tube is in the engine compartment, passenger side on the firewall - just under the round AC canister.. Although water is usually on the passenger side

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Check third brake light for leaks and if you have a sliding window check around there, also sometimes the door seals will move down towards the motor and you have to pull them back up. There is a couple spots to check

Quick Reply: What circuit is the cargo light on?