2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Doing the 1.7s/180*/Plenum/SCT this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Doing the 1.7s/180*/Plenum/SCT this weekend

Anyone got any tips? I can't find purple's write up in the DIY section.

I am only worried about having the distributor a tooth off. I will be marking the firewall to prevent that. but any other tips would help with that.

Seems like the hardest thing is getting the AC/fan/shroud off the truck. Just my luck, my washer fluid is completely full!!!

And it is about 98 degrees out. I am waiting until 4PM to start breaking everything down. Spending the night cleaning.

I also have new hoses, but skimped on the heater hoses. I sometimes am not very gentle and i might break my heater core trying to replace them.

--Dan

Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I am only worried about having the distributor a tooth off.
you put in a cam? if not you not doing to touch the distributor

tips take a pic for the vac line and grounds

i also would put in a new T-chain

Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the pics. I took video of mine while I was doing it. I was gonna make a video DIY but that was an epic fail. But the video's did help me put it all back together.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
truegent81
Captain

what do you mean by having distrib. off by a tooth? how does it get off?
so you pull old wires, plugs, and then remove old cap and rotor. what would cause it to be off? just wondering so this doesn't happen to anyone else, including myself.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Pull the distributor cap and mark the rotor in relation to the distributor body, then mark the distributor shaft in relation to the intake. As long as you don't rotate the engine, you won't have any problems. If you do end up rotating the engine, don't try and guess where it needs to go. Start over with the engine at TDC on the compression stroke and the rotor pointing at #1.

As for the heater hoses, use a knife and cut a slit at the connections. You should do this with any old hoses as you run the risk of breaking something if you don't. Rubber hose is cheap, the stuff they attach to sometimes isn't.

Ever done the water pump or timing chain? Depending on how many miles you have and if it's ever been done, now would be a great time to do them.

EDIT: Disregard what I said about the distributor. I was in Chevy small block mode for a moment and totally forgot that the distributor does not go through the intake on a small block Chrysler. I'll leave the info up for anyone that might need it for another project though.

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 05-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stupid cell phone Double post!

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 05-28-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The distributor DOES NOT need to be removed to pull the intake, OR to change the Timing Chain.

Buy a new bypass hose for the water pump to intake manifold. The old one will likely need to be cut off.

Replace all the bolts into the pieces you remove and it will be much easier to reinstall. Also, if you get to a point that you need to remember that a bracket must go under another piece before you bolt it down (or another slightly confusing maneuver) snap a pic before disassembley and you'll have it to refer to later.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Yeah, just noticed that about the distributor!!! The last time i did something like this was with my SBC.

Well, All I need to do is take off the clamp bolt for the distributor.

My truck has 48K on it, so I think the timing chain is alright. THe plenum is spotless from looking down the intake, but I move a lot (tow) since I am in the Army. So, it would eventually go.

I plan on doing the timing chain when I do the heads within the next 6 months. I just want to see the difference in power with the 1.7s 24# inj and SCT before I swap heads.

I have everything off, marked and away from the main work area. I just need to take off the distrib clamp bolt, then take off the intake.

I will be doing some dremel work to the kegger. Not sure If i want to mod it. i have a cutting wheel, but I am not sure if I want to do that. I WILL be porting the injector bosses.

Thanks for the help and reminding me about the distributor.

--Dan

Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NO NO NO - do not touch the distributor, nor its clamp !!!!!!!!!

intake comes straight up and away. the distributor is not in the way.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

crap, I already took the clamp off. Thing that sucks is that I did not know that i could have put it on without the intake already on there. So now i need to go out and get a snub gear wrench to get the darn thing back on.

Don't worry, the distributor was not pulled.

Quick Reply: Doing the 1.7s/180*/Plenum/SCT this weekend