2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Is Bucking

Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
BowlerGT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Is Bucking

Ok I havnt driven my truck since I bought it a few weeks ago, now Ive gone out and started it a few times and its fine, when I drove it home it drove great. All Ive done to it since I broght it home is put a muffler on it. Just went to leave to have new tires put on it, it reversed out of the driveway no problem but soon as I gave it gas in drive rpms drop to like 400 and it starts trying to stall and bucks real bad, if I let off the gas it will start going just fine but soon as I try to give it gas at all it does it again what do you guys think? In idle it is fine, if I rev it in park it is fine.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's not a lot to go on, but my first instinct is a failed catalytic converter.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
BowlerGT

Ok just went back out and drove it back and forth in the driveway and it doesnt seem to be doing it anymore I can give it gas and it goes without any rpm drop or problems, but now when I put it in drive it is fine but when I put it in reverse it seems to engage really hard jerking the truck back if I'm not all the way on the brake pedal

Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
BowlerGT

Leaving for vacation friday any input would be greatly appreciated. I did go out and pull out a plug it didnt look that bad, air filter was a little dirty, trany fluid still looked red and didnt smell burnt

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's still not a lot to go on... but it is starting to sound like a transmission malfunction. Has it lit the check engine light or set any failure codes? Heck, even if you haven't seen a CEL it would make good sense to get a scan tool on it to see if it has anything stored or pending.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
BowlerGT

No check engine light

Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
BowlerGT

Asked some guys at work today, my seal around the back of the engine bay where the hood comes down was partially pulled off and its sat through a few really heavy rain storms the past 2 weeks, they said water gets down on the distributor could that of been the issue? I'll probably do a tune up here and see if that helps, btw what idiot at dodge put the distributor on the back of the engine where you cant get to?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Well, it was either in the back where its fun to get to (have you seen the newer ford trucks? at least on the dodge, you can SEE the damn thing...) or up in front where it gets splashed with everything coming at you. Not a good scene if you do water crossings at all.

Possibly TPS, possibly trans. What does your fluid look like? Be sure to check it in Neutral, on a flat surface.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
BowlerGT

I checked it, not on a completely flat surface as my driveway has a slight slant to it, had a nice reddish tint didn't look or smell burnt, and I also did not check it in neutral

Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then you didnt really check it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Is Bucking