2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Could it be my compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could it be my compressor?

Finally getting back to my AC issues. I got a set of new guages to make sure my numbers were correct and they are. I jumper the switch and get about 150psi on the high side and about 20 on the low side. I figured it might be low so I add a can. It takes maybe a half can and the pressures increase slightly. I get about 175 and 30. It stops taking refrigerant and the inside temp out of the vents is about 48 degrees and it cools nicely. When I pull the jumper and plug it back into the switch the clutch cycles about every 15 seconds or so.

From the manual it states low refrigerant first ( I assume since it isn't taking any more that is not the issue. Then refigerant restriction through the accumulator followed by restriction in Evap, with finally compressor bad. I figure replacing the accumulator wouldn't be a big deal or big expense and I would replace that anyway if I replaced the compressor. I doubt I have restriction through the evap. I just hate to throw $200 at it not knowing if that will fix the problem. I guess it could also be the switch, but from what I see it works off of temp not pressure.

What is the typical life span of these compressors and what are the symptoms that they are bad?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your air is cold, than the compressor is working. my operation pressures on my truck are about 35 low side and 250 high side.

if the compressor is cycling than it is low on pressure. sounds like you just need to add more freon. make sure that you are only attempting to add freon when your compressor is kicked on. that is the only time that the system will accept the charge.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Davect06607
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting 55psi on the low side, what would that lean toward?

Not overcharged either, just added 2.5lbs.

Can't seem to hook up high side for some reason, my hose connector isn't csatching properly.

Could it be a bad compressor, that the high side is leaking over to low side?
Or maybe compressor low on oil?

Last edited by Davect06607; 07-07-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you got the little can, with the hose and such, it won't hook to high side.

55 PSI with the compressor running is about right if it is around 90 or so outside. There should be a chart around somewhere.......

Does your A/C work?

Quick Reply: Could it be my compressor?