2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What size socket for the front hub/bearing nut?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
01BigRedPickem-up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size socket for the front hub/bearing nut?

I searched and came up empty.It is for a 2001 Ram 1500 2WD.I did a quick measure and it appears to be 1 3/8".Just wanted to know before I start the job.Reason I am asking is I do not have anything that would fit it and would have to buy a socket for the job.Thanks in advance!!!

Andy.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a big adjustable wrench put it on the nut and measure for the most accuracy. Its been a while, but your number seems right.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

edit. oops. yours is 2wd. i don't know.

4wd is 1-11/16

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
01BigRedPickem-up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.The largest socket I have is a 1 1/8" so guess I'll measure the nut and go from there.Also I am having a tough time locating a new hub/bearing nut to replace the old one so it is done correctly.Anybody know of a good online parts store to get the nut.Maybe I'll try Napa or something local.Again thanks.

Andy

Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01BigRedPickem-up
Thanks guys.The largest socket I have is a 1 1/8" so guess I'll measure the nut and go from there.Also I am having a tough time locating a new hub/bearing nut to replace the old one so it is done correctly.Anybody know of a good online parts store to get the nut.Maybe I'll try Napa or something local.Again thanks.

Andy
They dont usually need replacing, but Rock Auto.com has 'em.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
They dont usually need replacing, but Rock Auto.com has 'em.
On the two wheel drives, the service manual specifically states not to reuse them. Not only that, I believe it is also stamped into the nut itself.

For the couple bucks they cost, it is a hell of a lot better to 'waste' that money, than to have one of your tires abandon you at freeway speeds.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On the two wheel drives, the service manual specifically states not to reuse them. Not only that, I believe it is also stamped into the nut itself.

For the couple bucks they cost, it is a hell of a lot better to 'waste' that money, than to have one of your tires abandon you at freeway speeds.
Manual, who reads that lmao? Guess I should look at my Haynes or the 01 I host on my site more often. Only tend to look if Im stumped on something or can't remember torque specs.

I dont have an 01 but on my 96 1500 4x2 its 1 1/16", says nothing on the nut about not reusing. Just happened to remove one of the rotors couple hours ago so i can strip the Duplicolor off my spindles & pwdrct instead. Maybe Ill order a set myself, hate to have a wheel come off at 120

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
Manual, who reads that lmao? Guess I should look at my Haynes or the 01 I host on my site more often. Only tend to look if Im stumped on something or can't remember torque specs.

I dont have an 01 but on my 96 1500 4x2 its 1 1/16", says nothing on the nut about not reusing. Just happened to remove one of the rotors couple hours ago so i can strip the Duplicolor off my spindles & pwdrct instead. Maybe Ill order a set myself, hate to have a wheel come off at 120
If you have the variety of nut that goes against a washer, that holds a separate bearing in place, those nuts can be reused. (should be a castle nut?) Dodge changed how the 2 by rotors where held on at some point, don't recall the actual year. If you have the hub and bearing assembly, (serviced as a unit) then, do not reuse the nuts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size socket for the front hub/bearing nut?