2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Blend door fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 AM
adrenaline junky
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend door fix

First I want to say that I am in no way affiliated with this service...

My symptom was that when I had the AC on and I would hear a thump and then heat would blow out the vents. I would turn the AC off, turn it back on, it would run for a bit, I would hear the thump and heat was blowing again.

Called the StealerShip and was told to bring it down for a $169 inspection. They said it was probably the blend door and was a $732 fix. I did a little snooping around on the net and found the company heatertreater.com. I contacted Chris about my truck and he sent me this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mW722SNpA
After viewing it I ordered the part. I thought I would try a $30 fix before I opened up my wallet for the benjamins.

I got the kit 3 days later. First thing I noticed were the very detailed instructions. The kit was well thought out. It included a 9v connector to test the servo motor, a shortened allen wrench to get into the tight area, and the metal replacement piece.

Basically here is the plastic part that breaks between the blend door and the servo motor and next to it is the new metal one.

I followed the instructions after watching the video. I pulled back the carpet and cut this chunk of foam mat out to allow more room for the screw driver. I just put it back into place once done.

I found that a pair of vice grips holding a phillips head bit worked like a charm for the back screw.

As I mentioned, the directions were very complete and easy to follow. It tells you how to index the servo motor and tips for installation. The whole job took 32 min and that included reading the instructions. I would recommend this fix for anyone with basic hand tools. I was stoked that I saved $700 for 1/2 hr work. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Cool, I think we have a member with just his problem posted up in recent memory. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The correct URL for the Heater Treater is http://heatertreater.net/

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i used his web info to cut open and inspect the blend door on our 04 jeep grand cherokee. i expected to find the broken blend door shaft or gears and then order the repair kit. it turned out that our blend door was not broken yet, and we had an AC problem.

i would have never thought of cutting open the heater box without his detailed instructions and pictures.

i used a heated up utility knife instead of a dremel tool to cut it open. less mess and a cleaner cut.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
73Red

I have a problem where my heat is just luke warm. Does not get any hotter when I accelerate. Could this also be my problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Possibly. Might also be poor flow thru the heater core.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
73Red

Is there a way to check the flow? When I ran the water through it it was pouring out as fast as it went in. I did an in and out flush.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There really is no way to check the flow accurately. But you can try using some CLR in the heater core and let it soak an hour or so. Blow the water out of the core and pour the CLR in and let it sit. Then flush both ways. To check the blend door on a 98, rapidly turn the switch all the way from left to right, you should hear it slam shut in both directions.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a problem, just sayin' that's all

Old 11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
73Red

Thanks, I will give it a try. Sorry for the to threads, I thought it was two different issues and thought it wouldn't hurt to get the two points.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Blend door fix