Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram Fuel Pump Issue. Please help!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1997 Dodge Ram Fuel Pump Issue. Please help!

Hello,

Here's what has happened: My fuel pump went out, I've changed it and the truck works again. Yay! Now for the problem. The OEM line that connects to the pressure regulator broke off when I was uninstalling it from the old pump.

The first thing I did was go out and buy a fuel line repair kit from NAPA auto parts; a 3/8" line. (Part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-800-059/).
This fit the fuel pump great... But then when I went to install the metal fitting to attach the old hose to the new hose, it was way too big! (the hose must be 5/16")

So I figured I ****ed up, went to the store and bought another one that was 5/16" (no link to this part). This installed onto my hose great, but the 90 degree fitting did not fit my fuel pump!

So I already tried to take the metal connector that fits my nylon fuel line and clamp the bigger 3/8 fuel line (the one that fits my fuel pump) to it. But with the smallest clamps I could find at the auto stores, it will not clamp it secure enough to prevent a leak.

So I need some ideas.

Do they make a metal connector that goes from 5/16" to 3/8"?

Does someone sell a kit that has a 3/8" connection that my pump needs, but has a 5/16 hose versus a 3/8 hose?

Could I fit the larger 3/8 hose onto the metal fuel line down the line a few inches? (removing my old rubber hose completely)

Should I just go buy the entire new OEM line?? How much would that be?

Should I just blow up my truck?

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate it!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

You should be able to find the fittings you need to adapt from one size, to the other, at just about any hardware store. Get the fittings you need to make a good connection from the 3/8ths, to the 5/16ths line. Put it together, make sure there are no leaks, and smile, and be happy.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Rookie
1998 Dodge Ram 3500
My Garage

Vehicle: '98 Ram 3500 24v CTD Dually

Definitely thinking the same thing, or any place that has plumbing supplies...

Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Record Breaker
1995 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 95 Ram 1500

Ugh, this sounds like something that would happen to me and my first suggestion would be your last option which is just to blow it up. That's pretty much how I feel when stuff like this happens.
Seriously, I'd keep looking or go to the dealer for the line with the right size on both ends. I'd only cut and booger together as a last resort.
95 1500 5.9, 3" SJ Sys Diesel Coils, 35" Trxus M/T, 16" Streetlocks, 4.56, Auburn Posi, Ox Lock, Hella, Remote start, K&N, Flowmaster50, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Custom bumpers, 9500 winch, 1-ton Steering, AGR SuperPump, RedHead Gear, Corbeau seats
Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM