2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram Fuel Pump Issue. Please help!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Bluebaron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Ram Fuel Pump Issue. Please help!

Hello,

Here's what has happened: My fuel pump went out, I've changed it and the truck works again. Yay! Now for the problem. The OEM line that connects to the pressure regulator broke off when I was uninstalling it from the old pump.

The first thing I did was go out and buy a fuel line repair kit from NAPA auto parts; a 3/8" line. (Part: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-800-059/).
This fit the fuel pump great... But then when I went to install the metal fitting to attach the old hose to the new hose, it was way too big! (the hose must be 5/16")

So I figured I ****ed up, went to the store and bought another one that was 5/16" (no link to this part). This installed onto my hose great, but the 90 degree fitting did not fit my fuel pump!

So I already tried to take the metal connector that fits my nylon fuel line and clamp the bigger 3/8 fuel line (the one that fits my fuel pump) to it. But with the smallest clamps I could find at the auto stores, it will not clamp it secure enough to prevent a leak.

So I need some ideas.

Do they make a metal connector that goes from 5/16" to 3/8"?

Does someone sell a kit that has a 3/8" connection that my pump needs, but has a 5/16 hose versus a 3/8 hose?

Could I fit the larger 3/8 hose onto the metal fuel line down the line a few inches? (removing my old rubber hose completely)

Should I just go buy the entire new OEM line?? How much would that be?

Should I just blow up my truck?

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate it!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You should be able to find the fittings you need to adapt from one size, to the other, at just about any hardware store. Get the fittings you need to make a good connection from the 3/8ths, to the 5/16ths line. Put it together, make sure there are no leaks, and smile, and be happy.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely thinking the same thing, or any place that has plumbing supplies...

Old 07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh, this sounds like something that would happen to me and my first suggestion would be your last option which is just to blow it up. That's pretty much how I feel when stuff like this happens.
Seriously, I'd keep looking or go to the dealer for the line with the right size on both ends. I'd only cut and booger together as a last resort.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram Fuel Pump Issue. Please help!