2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New noise and bump when turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
dbasmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New noise and bump when turning

I've had my 2001 1500 with a 5.9L engine for about a year and have pulled a 4000lb trailer, have had an ATV in the bed and have had loads of firewood in the bed before. However, I just had 1200 lbs of floor tile in it when it started to make a noise when I turn. It happens when I'm turning a corner with some speed like turning at a traffic light or when I'm on a tightly curving road. Not only do I heart a thud, but maybe more importantly, there's a feeling like I just ran over a curb. It happens when turning in both directions. I haven't found the exact speed and tightness of the curve to replicate it every time, so it doesn't happen all the time by any means - only when I'm going a bit fast through the turn. It seems to be coming from the back, but I'm not real sure of that. I have not been able to try it when it is unloaded.

I have less than 100 miles on a transmission overhaul job. Could that be it or might the U-joints be damaged?

Any thoughts on where I should look?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Doug

Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Jack up the front end, and check all of your steering components. If you are getting odd noises on turns, wheel bearings, and u-joints is where I would start looking. Try shaking the tires top to bottom, and side to side, if they move, find out WHY.

U-joints you should be able to just have a look at 'em. try and wiggle the axle shafts separately.

see what ya find.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:41 PM
dbasmb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Thanks!

I'm embarrassed...It looks like my problem was shifting of the cargo. I just unloaded it and realized that my tile was still standing up but laying to the opposite side it had been - I was probably flipping it back and forth!

Thanks for your help though!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasmb
I'm embarrassed...It looks like my problem was shifting of the cargo. I just unloaded it and realized that my tile was still standing up but laying to the opposite side it had been - I was probably flipping it back and forth!

Thanks for your help though!
Oh god.... I LOVE the easy ones. Cheap too. Can't beat that with a stick.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's thinkin with your dipstick... Jimmy.

Quick Reply: New noise and bump when turning