2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water leak on driver floor board 99 ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
4Chaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water leak on driver floor board 99 ram

I have experienced a regular water leak on the driver side of my 1999 Dodge Ram. Like a dripping build up near center of floor board. I already eliminated the AC drain is clear of draining fine. It still gets wet when not running. I tore out the carpet, wet the truck and appears to be coming from inside the left side need emergency brake area dripping down the cable but I can not locate it when looking up (seems hidden) Help my carpet stinks, and it contines to leak slowly.
Looking for any ideas.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does it leak all the time? Or only after it rains? With your carpet out, get yourself a GOOD flashlight, crawl in there, and have a friend hose down the outside of the truck. If it is an external leak, that should find it. (might want to disconnect the battery while do this little exercise......)

Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just look up at the firewall someones probly pulled out the grommet for the main wiring harness or clutch hole if you have an auto to run amp wire's or the hood release cable grommet..or check your door wiring harness to make sure its fully clipped in...i think iv covered most of the holes over there...

Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
jmhai
Veteran

Check third brake light.. It would flood my passenger side when it rained for a long time..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
hardwayc
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
hardwayc

I did what you suggested, friend sprayed with hose. I still can not see location of leak.
I'll try to explain - at the bottom left hand side dodge has a cut out where they have rectangle insulation in the area. It drips from that location. see linked pic below
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.ph...&id=1083827025

I can not see up the panel to see location of small drip. No matter what water force or amount the drip rate is the same.

Any hidden grommets? I inspected the ones I can see under the hood and along the fire wall - they appear to be intack.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
hardwayc

Thanks for the tips

Forgive me
1. grommet for the main wiring harness - is this the harness running on the floor?
2. clutch hole - where is that located
3. the hood release cable grommet - the drops seem to be hitting that cable?? from the cut out / maybe running along it but can't tell
4. check your door wiring harness to make sure its fully clipped in - that one is good

All item I can see under hood and on inside fire wall checked and good so far

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM
hardwayc
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

follow the hood release cable look up under your dash with a flashlight you'll be able to see where it passes through..follow the wiring coming from your under hood fuse box(pdc) towards the cab and you will find where the main wiring harness enters the cab...if you have an automatic to the right of the brake booster then your looking at it youll see a black cover held in by two clips that is the clutch hole the "cut out" in your picture is where the wiring for the door goes threw

Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Danski

Mine was the passenger side. I resealed my 3rd brake light even though it looked ok and still had a leak. Lifted the rear seat and pulled carpet + sidepanel away. Started spraying water from brake light and worked rear window gasket toward passenger side. I sprayed a little, checked for water, sprayed further, etc. (no helper to watch for water with a flashlight!). Water was coming in at the corner bend of the rear window seal. When checking with the light, I could see water coming down behind the jack storage area. I think there is some black "putty like" material in there that broke down over the years. I put in some silicone, should do the trick. Found you guys doing a search trying to solve my problem, great resource here!

Quick Reply: Water leak on driver floor board 99 ram