2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 Ram Swap into a 1970 Plymouth

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:20 PM
monc440
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 Ram Swap into a 1970 Plymouth

OK Guys as the title says I'm swapping a 1996 Ram V10 into a 70 Plymouth Fury

I have already mocked up the block and trans in the car. I have the stock PCM and all the powertrain wiring harness and the fuel pump out of the Dodge truck.

I have a few questions about the use of the stock PCM that hopefully someone on here can answer.
1. Can the PCM be run stand alone with just providing power to it at A22 (power at all times) and C7 (hot in run or start). I don't think the system is mutiplexed so I think it will work.
2. The wiring diagram I have shows up stream and down stream O2 sensors however mine only has one on each bank so I think the pre cat and post cat O2's are only for Cali emissions. Correct?
3. This is a 1996 but can I use the instrument cluster from a newer year truck say a 2000?
4. Do these trucks have a body control module or only the PCM?
5. I have the DLC out of the truck. Other than the PCM connections at the DLC what do I need to wire into the DLC in order to communicate with the PCM?

Ok that's it for now.

FYI my plan is to place the stock V10 in for now and next winter I will be modifying a set of GEN 1 Viper heads and a SRT10 intake on a rebuilt Ram V10 short block but more on that later.

Thanks in advance for the help.
PS I can post pics of the progress if anyone is interested.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I would have to look at the wiring diagrams to see where power should be under various circumstances.... You can download the 96 service manual from here. There are connector pinouts in the wiring diagram section. Make sure you have ALL the power wires. I *think* there is more than two, but, can't swear to that.

Yeah, the federal emissions trucks only had upstream O2 sensors. That may have changed in later years, but, my 98 only has the two as well.

Nope. Things changed in 98, and the cluster gets ALL of its information via the PCM. On the older trucks, most of the gauges read directly from their assorted sensors, so, it doesn't put out the info the newer clusters would need.

Nope. Only the PCM.

Check the wiring diagrams for the ALDL. There's a couple wires in there that are the communications bus connection.

Welcome to DF!

Old 04-26-2021, 09:16 AM
monc440
Amateur

HeyYou

Thanks for the download link and info. That will help allot.

MONC440

Old 04-26-2021, 09:41 AM
monc440
Amateur
Default Ram V10 Block & 47RE trans mock up

Here are some pics of the V10 in the old C body Plymouth

Old 04-26-2021, 09:46 AM
monc440
Amateur
Default Viper Heads and Intake on Ram V10

Here are some pics of what it would look like with the Viper top end on the Ram block in the car. Note that I placed the truck valve covers on for looks as I don't have Viper valve covers yet. The viper valve covers are going to cost me almost as much as the GEN 1 heads cost me. LOL

Unmodified GEN 1 Viper heads on Ram Block

SRT10 Intake

Old 04-26-2021, 11:33 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Interesting project ! Regarding question 4 and 5, besides the PCM the DLC has buses for the ABS and airbag modules but you won't have those so all you'd need is power, ground and the two SCI wires (twisted pair !) from the PCM.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:11 PM
monc440
Amateur

DerTruck

Thanks for the input. So the PCM will not have DTC's from not being connected to other computers. So no multiplexing?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2021, 06:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it whines about other systems it can't communicate with, you can always simply do a custom tune, with them excluded. You are going to need one for that motor anyway.... so, easy.

What are you going to have to do to the heads and such to get them to play nice on the iron block?

Old 04-26-2021, 06:41 PM
monc440
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it whines about other systems it can't communicate with, you can always simply do a custom tune, with them excluded. You are going to need one for that motor anyway.... so, easy.

What are you going to have to do to the heads and such to get them to play nice on the iron block?
Where do I get the custom tune?

I have done a bunch of research on this issue and yes the Viper vs Ram V10's are lot different but do have some similarities. The Ram V10 also has some shared components with the 5.9L Ram. The V10 also has some similarities to the B/RB blocks.

The V10 Ram block is cast iron and has a 9.68 deck height. It shares the same bore as the 5.9 and the first gen viper. It shares the same deep skirt block design as B/RB big blocks. The head bolt pattern is the same as the first gen Viper however the coolant passages are different also the deck height of the Viper block is lower.
The stroke of the V10 Ram and Viper is 3.88 the stroke of the 5.9 is 3.58 however the rod length is the same between the V10 Ram and 5.9 and the viper rods are shorter due to the lower deck height. Even though the V10 Ram and 5.9 have different stroke they use the same rods and pistons because the V10 has a higher deck height than the 5.9.
Another difference I found between the Viper and Ram V10 is the cam bearings on the Ram are stepped down and the viper are all the same size so a viper cam shaft will not work in the Ram.
What I have figured out is you can build a higher performance V10 Ram using after market rods and pistons designed for the 5.9. You can use 1st gen viper heads if you seal the stock cooling ports and drill new ones that match the Ram block. You can also use a 1st gen viper intake or SRT10 intake with the viper heads but you need a spacer plate between the intake and heads because the V10 Ram deck height is higher than the viper. Similar to using a B block intake on an RB block. You can still get better cam shafts for the Ram V10 or even have a custom one ground. This is what I plan to do when I build the new engine next winter.

These are the viper heads and I’m pointing out the coolant passages that need to be plugged then new passages drilled next to the head bolt holes to match the block.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So it's just two ports??? Interesting.

Keep in mind, the truck V-10 redlines at 4500 RPM. I believe that limitation is a product of the rotating assembly....... So if you wanna go higher than that, and with those heads/intake, I suspect you will.... Gonna have to pay VERY close attention to balance on the bottom end.

Flyin' Ryan, and Hemifever both offer tunes for these trucks, including custom tunes.... I don't know if they have any experience with something like what you are doing there. The other option would be to buy the software/equipment needed to do your own tunes... (HP Tuners offers that stuff, and are a vendor on this site. They have ads on the forum main page.) Then you could tune and tweak to your hearts content. For your application, I suspect that would be the best option.

Quick Reply: V10 Ram Swap into a 1970 Plymouth