2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got a new belt, old one off...New one not on...YET...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a new belt, old one off...New one not on...YET...HELP!

WOW, Its been awhile since my last post. I bought a new belt the other day cause mine looked like its time to replace it or i would be stranded on day.. Took my old one off today, went to put the new on and stopped too look for a routing diagram on my rad support. WTF?! No sticker! Can someone please post up a diagram for me. I cant go anywhere until i get this belt back on. I want to get it right and make sure i get it right...But cant feel 100% like i got it routed right until i see a diagram.

Ive searched on here and all over google. And found no diagrams for my truck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW, i got the belt from orielly auto for pretty cheap and it looks to be a good quality belt, but cant let you guys know anything about how great it is until i get it on. I will have pics of it once installed..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Finally found a diagram, Could have did it without one but wanted a diagram to look at.

Here's pics of the new belt after short (15 mile) drive. Belt seems to be a quality belt. When putting it on i had it routed on all of the pullies and left the alternator pully for last, Pulled all of the tension off of the belt by using a socket wrench and a bar on the end to extend it..Tried to get the belt over the alternator pully but could NOT! Even with the tensionor pulled all the way back...So i tried the AC compressor pully for last.. same thing..... Finally tried the power steering pully for last, Worked out pretty well, best one to leave for last IMO. Make sure you start with the crank pully first and go in on the passenger side with the belt when you put on a new one.

Name:  SDC12153.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  SDC12152.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  SDC12150.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  SDC12163.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  204.8 KB

$19.99 plus tax at oreilly's. Old belt was a napa belt, Part # 25-070975..Im uploading pics now. Will edit post with pics of the old belt. Napa says there belt will not crack....BS...I have proof.

edit

Name:  SDC12174.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  SDC12172.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  SDC12170.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  58.8 KB

Last edited by DODGEPWR; 09-02-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's easier if you save the idler pulley for last, it's smooth on the edge so it won't give you a fuss, plus it's right beside the tensioner.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the front edge of that new belt getting chewed a bit, or is it just me? Kinda looks that way but might just be the pics?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

I would have left the idler for last but its pretty hard to get to down where its at, and with a breaker bar in the way i couldnt have left it for last anyway. Using the PS pully made it easy to get too and slip over.

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
Is the front edge of that new belt getting chewed a bit, or is it just me? Kinda looks that way but might just be the pics?

Hmm, not sure what your talking about? The threads maybe? Nope no eating of the belt going on. Ill get some more pics of the belt today, But for sure there is no chewing going on there. Belt looks perfect still and is as silent as a tree...No cherping or anything from this belt, just silence.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just you Maxx, that is the new/not worn down threads poking out of the side of it.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya I kinda thought so, just thought I'd mention it in case you were off a groove.... I chewed a whole groove off the edge of a belt on a car I had once because it was off a tooth, the car just went to the scrapyard a month ago with that same belt still working on it

Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Another pic of the belt face. No chewed just the threads are new and bright. You can see the threads on my old belt but there dark and dirty from all the miles. Im not sure how many miles were on the old belt. But the old napa belt price is like $51. $19.99 Is alot better. Ill keep you guys posted on how the belt does over the miles.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i need a new belt i still got the factroy one on......lol

i will have to check out that 20dollar belt

Old 09-04-2010, 10:17 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
ya i need a new belt i still got the factroy one on......lol

i will have to check out that 20dollar belt

lol How many miles is on that factory belt of yours? Does it look bad?? You should check this belt out for sure... Great belt for the price. Belt still looks great, been driving it in the heat with the a/c running and also in stop/go situations, No probs.. Its probly the same belt as alot of others you see for $50-60, you know how alot of times one company puts out a product and other people put there brand on it and sell it. Like alot of oil filter's are...

Havent put a ton of miles on it yet(obviously) But i will keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: I got a new belt, old one off...New one not on...YET...HELP!