2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best cam upgrade.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cam upgrade.

Initially i was going with a 408 but due to time and money being an issue im just going to do some mods on my 5.9. I havebeen searching for the best cam to use to give me that good lopey sound like a chevy. I want it to count off the licks without sacrificing driveability. I have read about the KRC RV cam and was wondering if anyone had it and was wondering what the sound difference is versus stock. I believe CPTAFW has some info on that cam from what i read. I also plan to put on some HS 1.7s and upgrade the heads a little and also finally get my SCT. Might as well do the cam while im at so any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An RV cam will not be lumpy as it's designed to operate in the lower RPM range..

Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so a cam that operates better a higher rpm would give me a better sound? for a sacrifice of low end? sorry for my ignorance, i used to be a chevy boy, im a newb Mopar Man.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:29 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i probably won't say this right but - a cam that "counts them off" tends to have a bigger lift and shorter duration and generates its power at high rpms and has poor low rpm torque. they sound really cool at idle and run like a scalded dog at 4000 rpm but barely run at low rpms.

an rv cam that 'pukes torque' has a modest lift and a longer duration. its sounds normal at idle and generates good power at 2000 rpm.

Hank himself...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-cam-swap.html

this thread is pretty old, and it looks like KRC has since sold out to Comp
http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...p?topic=9197.0

Old 09-04-2010, 04:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

caution - a cam is a tar baby that you throw money at...
cam, lifters, push rods, rockers, springs, heads, tuning, maybe injectors.

double caution - a cam often won't even run without TUNING...

Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

dhvaughan one of your links-he,he. 2yrs ago and i have finally just purchased a cam a few weeks ago. i sure am alot more knowlegeable now about them. it took me that long to finally make my mind up. to funny. hope it doesnt take me that long to make my mind up on the heads.

and i sure miss old hank. he had some great knowledge.used to like reading his posts. sometimes i would have to read them a couple times to understand them completely but they were always great.

Last edited by talon6; 09-04-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

CompCams makes a "thumpr" cam that will lope bigger at idle and be more reasonable for a DD. Call them and see if they make one for the Dodge.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I would go with the RV cam. You won't have to worry about PVC with that camshaft and I believe that you would not need new pushrods (unless you get eddy heads).

Basically you want a 200 duration camshaft with no more than .480 lift (int/exh). However, you can get a bit more top end with the KRC210X.

PM B1llyw, he is one of the former partners of KRC. He said he would get me with the guys at comp to get the RV cam or any other cam they used to sell. He also has lots of parts for sale that are pretty cheap. I got a March billet aluminum pulley set (Crank, alt, water pump) for 85 shipped.

He might have some camshafts laying around for sale.

--Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best cam upgrade.