2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick question about 4.56's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quick question about 4.56's

Sorry to keep pinging you guys.. but the search function is failing me on this one..

I'm upgrading from 3.92 to 4.56 in an anti-spin differential, and I didn't realize it was a anti-spin until tonight.. Is there a different kit for the anti-spin?

Most things about these trucks I grasp.. the differential(s) are something I've never worked on.. ever... on any vehicle. I'm having these done professionally, but I'm taking the parts to him... I'm hoping I didn't screw the pooch..

on another note- as much $$ as this is costing me, is it truly that large an upgrade from 3.92's? And what's this about a special additive for anti-spin differentials?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually you need a new carrier for a larger gear, especially with LSD.

If you need a new carrier, you won't be able to keep the stock LSD (to my knowledge, which is limited).

BTW, don't forget the front diff.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont need anything different because its an LSD but like stated above, when you move up to a larger gear, the stock carrier wont work, unless you buy a "thick" gear, which to some, the thick gear isnt a good idea... if you need the larger carrier you will have to buy a new LSD which is gonna cost more.. so keep it in mind... also yes you do have to use differential fluids with additive for LSDs i dont remember how much more it costs, i dont think it was anything crazy, but you will need to use it

i would say the 4.56 from 3.92 would be pretty noticable, i went from 3.55s and notices a world of difference. so i cant give you 100% experience, but my guess is it would be worth it..

Quick Reply: quick question about 4.56's