2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

so done with this POS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
99redram318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down so done with this POS!

Just did the plenum gasket, now I've got a cyl 1 misfire, idles like crap, cel flashes while accelerating and the plugs are a bit white. Im stumped what can I do to fix this thing and sell it. Ive put more money into it the last year and a half then the things worth. So up for sale it goes. Any ideas? thanks

Mike

Sorry for the rant, I'm just fed up.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably your injector connectors are not tight. If there is a red tab on the injectors then you need to make sure it is pressed in. If you don't have a red tab, you have the earlier injector connectors. If you took them off, chances are that you did not put back on those small wire clips that keep them snug onto the onjector. You don't have those, then you will miss.

did you disconnect your injectors when doing the plenum? Or did you just take off the fuel rail with the injectors?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:33 AM
99redram318
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
probably your injector connectors are not tight. If there is a red tab on the injectors then you need to make sure it is pressed in. If you don't have a red tab, you have the earlier injector connectors. If you took them off, chances are that you did not put back on those small wire clips that keep them snug onto the onjector. You don't have those, then you will miss.

did you disconnect your injectors when doing the plenum? Or did you just take off the fuel rail with the injectors?
Took the injectors out of the rail. I put the little retainers back in that hold the injectors to the rail. Come to think of it. We didnt put new o rings on the top part of the injector just the bottoms. Could that be it that its not sitting right? Theres no fuel leak though.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only purpose of the o-ring is to prevent fuel leak, so i doubt that is your problem.

you could swap injector #1 with another to see if the misfire moves with it. that would indentify injector problem, but would not identify injector wiring or connector problem.

at a different time, swap plug #1 with another to if misfire moves.

assuming plenum plate is sealed up tight, then its not a vac leak in the belly pan. if the intake was leaking at the front and rear lip - that would leak oil, not vac.

check torque on intake bolts. don't overtighten.

check vac hoses on the intake. there are several.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99redram318
Took the injectors out of the rail. I put the little retainers back in that hold the injectors to the rail. Come to think of it. We didnt put new o rings on the top part of the injector just the bottoms. Could that be it that its not sitting right? Theres no fuel leak though.
if you disconnected them and don't have that THIN WIRE at the bottom of your injector connector, then that is why you have the miss.

Check your injector connectors.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How about checking the codes? And did you replace the pre cat o2 sensor, check the cat and route the wires per the TSB? Did you move or remove the distributor? Are you sure the plug wires are clipped on all the way at both ends? Did the ECT or IAT possibly get damaged or not plugged back in?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:55 AM
99redram318
Professional

Injectors were put in fine. Just went over them. Never took the wires off the cap, Just replaced the cap rotor plugs and wires last night. Got rid of the misfire. Now when cold it starts hard and idles a bit shakey(not to bad).Wires werre installed correctly on new cap.) When warm its fine. Compression tested motor had 6 cly at 155 and 2 at 149ish. When we did the plenum we followed the books so that was done right I know that, checked all vacuum lines when we took them off and once again upon installation. and now when I shut the motor off it has a knock/tick for about 30-45 seconds. Im stumped

Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 AM
99redram318
Professional

Come to think of it the coolant temp sensor looked a bit on the fritz, the sensor was in the manifold but the top connector part looked a bit loose. hmm what would that do with the idle?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could send the wrong signal to the PCM. A lot of times this symptom is due to a faulty precat o2.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

a bad coolant temp sensor can really **** off the PCM, it cause all sorts of hell for me.