2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please say my Plenum gasket is not bad (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Well,
I changed my plenum at 48K on my 2001. The plenum plate was so clean I could eat off it. Seriously.
Wow... My truck was the cleanest one I looked at when I bought it... but compared to that it looks like complete garbage! I am almost certain that the plenum gasket has not been replaced; if the valve cover gaskets weren't replaced when I bought it, it seems unlikely that the plenum gasket has been even though about. Here is what I had to deal with when I replaced the valve cover gaskets a few days ago:

Name:  mypictures065-1.jpg
Views: 4182
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  mypictures066-1.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  110.5 KB

And this is what my engine bay looks like after I replaced the passenger side and tried to clean it up as much as possible, cleaner but not much better(notice the pretty blue gasket peeking out slightly): Name:  mypictures070.jpg
Views: 4263
Size:  197.1 KB

Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Damn.
I guess I'm lucky that mine only recently started leaking, mine isn't cooked up like yours is.
BTW, how do you guys get plug wires 2,6, and all odds off?
Mine are a pain. I can't get them off.
Stupid brake booster.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie

Make sure you twist the boot about a half of a turn, just to make sure it is free, because it could be stuck on something. I had to get a step ladder so that I could get a proper grip on the spark plug boots. There's not really a special way to get them off, just do not grab by the wire or you will be paying a trip to the auto parts store to get new plug wires.

Yeah, I hate looking at that cooked on crap... I'm gonna try to get all of it off one of these days.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I know the 1/2 turn thing. I've done that. I've twisted and turned the damn things almost 360*. Its clip thingy inside the wire thats sticking to the plug.

And for some reason, I can't use a step ladder, my head hits the hood too much.

Also, brake cleaner and a flathead screw driver??

Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Yeah, I know the 1/2 turn thing. I've done that. I've twisted and turned the damn things almost 360*. Its clip thingy inside the wire thats sticking to the plug.
It might be a good time to consider those wires goners, but in a last-ditch attempt to save them: This is one place where WD-40 comes in handier than penetrating oils. Spray a bit at the wire where it enters the boot and a couple of inches up the wire from there, let it work for a few minutes, then try a hooked shaft spark plug boot removal tool. Hopefully, if the barrel doesn't come loose from the terminal, the boot will slide up the wire without tearing the conductor out of the barrel. If that happens, some bent jaw needlenose pliers should get you the rest of the way -- grab the bridge between the two ends of the barrel, give a twist and a tug. But if the conductor is torn out of the barrel, the wire's a goner.

It's faster and easier to just call 'em goners, yank until something breaks (or just cut the wire at the top of the boot if you've no frustration to vent) and hack out whatever remains to get at the plug. Using the above method I still usually break one or two wires of eight and end up replacing the set anyway, but every now and then I've gotten lucky and broken none.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
jswain
Veteran

I did the TSB test on mine, although without a vacuum gauge. I put my thumb partially over the hose that goes to the airbox after plugging pcv and pcv port on intake. Then I sprayed degreaser between my thumb and the open portion of the hose. It blew bubbles, so I had positive pressure. I started to burn a little oil shortly thereafeter, so I did the plenum repair with a Hughes plate anyway. The gasket was poking out between the plenum plate and the intake when I removed it...so I assume the plenum was leaking. I say all that in order to say that I believe the truck can still have a plenum leak (maybe only a small one) even if it passes the TSB test. I did the TSB test again after I did the plenum repair and noticed considerably higher positive pressure.
To the OP, if the truck has 200k miles on it, the plenum is most likely leaking. If it runs good (no pinging and idles smooth) and uses very little oil and passes the TSB test, I probably wouldn't mess with repairing it. I mainly replaced mine to see if I could stop the oil consumption and because I was tired of wondering about the durn plenum.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Ah the plenum. Mine had 215k miles on it before I decided to look in the TB and saw the same thing you have going on in your pics. Me and a buddy of mine took off the intake and saw just a little bit of gasket sticking out so yes you probably have a small leak like I did. I think I got lucky if that was it after that many miles. Of course now I have 247k on her and the original tranny is still kickin strong so I think I just got a lucky truck (knock on wood)

Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The TSB is useless as far as I'm concerned. It will only show a major leak. Been there done that. If it's just a small leak, you won't be able to tell with the TSB. Meanwhile the cat is getting ruined/clogged, the #8 cylinder is getting hotter and hotter(because it's closest to the cat), and the head is going taking all the abuse from the extra heat. Then it cracks. Unfortunately , the only real way to tell, is to remove the intake.

Last edited by zman17; 10-05-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 AM
captainredneck1028
Default confused!

I have a 98 dodge ram sport with a 5.2 magnum and I just replaced the intake manifold, plenum, and pan gaskets yesterday. Got it all back together and started it up. Now its idleing high. Fml I hate that when it rains, it pours. I just need a new engine to start off fresh with. Any ideas guys?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captainredneck1028
I have a 98 dodge ram sport with a 5.2 magnum and I just replaced the intake manifold, plenum, and pan gaskets yesterday. Got it all back together and started it up. Now its idleing high. Fml I hate that when it rains, it pours. I just need a new engine to start off fresh with. Any ideas guys?
Disconnect your battery and reset your pcm by draining all residual power from the system. Cut headlights on.

Then reconnect batterry.

Ideling High is hardly a reason to get a new motor.

Now if you shot a piston out the side of the block or something.....

Quick Reply: Please say my Plenum gasket is not bad (pic heavy)