2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless Remote for 98 Dodge Ram 1500 possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Rick-O-Shay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Remote for 98 Dodge Ram 1500 possible?

I just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.9L Magnum Laramie SLT pkg truck. When I bought it, it did not come with a keyless remote. I would like to buy one but have 2 questions:

1.) Does this vehicle even support keyless entry? Some models do, some don't so I want to know before I buy a remote.

and

2.) If I only have 1 remote, can I program it myself? Or do I really have to take it to the dealer? I don't think it is worth it if I have to take it to the dealership to get it programmed.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rick-O-Shay; 10-13-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added vehicle year
Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Go ahead and get remote start while you are at it. The remotes come with keyless entry, you just have to purchase a seperate relay. The installer can do that as well and probably cheaper than getting just keyless entry.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
DodgeTheFather Ramthe Daughter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take your truck to a Dodge dealer and they run the VIN to see if the truck ever had keyless entry if it did u can buy new remotes and program them to the truck if it didnt you will have to buy a complete new system which isnt worth it

The following users liked this post:
Keyless Wayne (12-21-2021)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

buy a Viper 5901 system!!! i did and i love it, i had no keyless entry.. now ive got a great alarm, keyless entry, remote start and all the goodies... i bought the kit on ebay for $220 and installed it myself (unless your very confident in messing with ALOT of wires. i wouldnt recommend doing it yourself).. i think best buy prices the system and install for like $500... great addition!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
jmhai
Veteran

I got the S1 Black Widow-Keyless Entry/Remote Start... The unit and install cost about 300.00 bones and worth every penny. I just need to fix the trans so the fluid will circulate in park and idling when warming up in the morning. I now only let in idle for 5 never more then 10 minutes before jumping in and putting in neutral for a minute before taking off, but really would like it to flow in Park....

Old 10-15-2010, 03:54 AM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I had the build sheet pulled up for my truck and found out that mine had it originally but I had no remotes. I bought a set of two on eBay for $15 including shipping and ended up having to pay the dealer $40 to get them programmed to the truck but I am happy with it. I thought about getting an aftermarket system but just could not justify the price with the other things that I needed to work on when I bought the truck. Figured it wasn't too bad of a deal for a total of $55

Quick Reply: Keyless Remote for 98 Dodge Ram 1500 possible?