2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram Brake Line Help

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM
mikelbeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram Brake Line Help

Deleted.

Last edited by mikelbeck; 10-31-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

There are a bunch of lines under there, including the fuel line... careful what ya cut. Brake lines are indeed steel there. Our trucks are famous for the line rusting out above the gas tank.......

Just determine which is the brake line, cut it off on both sides of the gas tank, and replace that section. Use unions, do NOT use compression fittings. You can also run the line from somewhere forward of the gas tank, all the way to where it screws into whatever it screws into by the rear axle. Less line flaring that way. Brake line is cheap, and easy to come by. Flaring tool is just a few bucks, if you don't already have one.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 PM
mikelbeck

Deleted.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, inside the C of the framerail.... right above the gas tank. Should be a steel line. (solid) the other line that runs down to the rear brakes is the E-brake cable.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, inside the C of the framerail.... right above the gas tank. Should be a steel line. (solid) the other line that runs down to the rear brakes is the E-brake cable.
Right on the $$$ there.

I went through this about a month ago with my 1999. HeyYou was a big help. I can post a link to the thread if need be. Otherwise, best of luck!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM
mikelbeck

Deleted.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can bleed just the rears.... have fun getting the bleeders to break loose..... (LOTS of chemicals, and tap on 'em with a hammer before trying to open 'em up.) However..... (hehehehehee) this is a golden opportunity to flush out all the old fluid, and refill with fresh. Use a turkey baster, or some such to suck as much fluid as you can out of the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid, and bleed all the brakes until the fluid runs nice and clean. (at least a quart, probably two.) Brake fluid absorbs water right out of the atmosphere, won't hurt to do it now, while you are at it anyway.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
mikelbeck

Deleted.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikelbeck
Well, you know this was gonna happen, right?

I soaked the bleeders with some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. I put a socket on the bleeder and tried to crack it, it snapped right off. So then I decided I might as well replace both rear wheel cylinders, off I went to Auto Zone. When I got back I tried to disconnect the brake lines from the cylinders and the fittings on both ends broke off. So back to Auto Zone.

I spent my day either under the truck or running back and forth to the auto parts store. Had some issues getting the brakes back together- I wound up with an extra part that I didn't recognize so I wasted an hour with that. Now I've run out of daylight and I've only got one side done and nothing bled yet.

Tomorrow's another day...
Standard operating procedure. The job that keeps on giving.

When I was working on my Van's rear brakes, I looked at all the parts, and "test fought" with a couple of them, before going to the parts store, getting all new lines, (including the soft line), and wheel cylinders BEFORE I even took the first part off. The van has 200K on it, EVERYTHING is rusty as all get out, and I knew what I was in for. I just saved myself a bunch of frustration, and gas...... by shotgunning the job, and replacing everything that I needed to touch. Parts were under 40 bucks..... and the brakes are MUCH better now.... Funny how it works that way.

Extra parts when you are done with the job is NOT a good thing......

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What really gets my goat is that there is stainless steel hard line brake line out there, but the manufacture wont use it, who knows it may just save a life. I would pay more for a new vehicle if it had stainless steel brake lines and exhaust.I have replaced all of the hard lines on my truck with stainless kits from Eastwood. I hope to never have to worry about them again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Ram Brake Line Help