2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 318 smoking bad

Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 318 smoking bad

hey guys my 94 started smoking something fierce today. First i looked down the throttle body to look for oil in my intake i expected the intake gasket to be blown but no oil. i looked at the plugs and they looked good i just did a complete tune up 300 miles ago. i have no clue there is no water in my oil the air filter was a little dirty but i dont think it would cause this. the smoked smelled like it was running really rich?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruOMjE4IlOY

Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what color is that smoke? blue or white? if white, you'll have coolant in the oil soon. and if white don't drive it.

a compression test will tell you if you've got a head or head gasket problem.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

maybe there is some water in the gas. it happens once in a while at the gas stations.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

there is no coolant in the oil and the smoke is more blueish. I did just fill up with gas yesterday

Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
loneriderty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it time to putt the head off and replace the ring on pistons one set of ring a blown it won't hurt it to drive but i'd suggest keeping oil with you and check it often. when you start to rebuid it check for piston slop it will hurt you in about 100 miles when you have to pull it down again and pay to bore .20 over.
or bore the cylinder out .20 over buy eight piston kits a head gasket kit some beer and invite a couple buddies to help out one weekend
my truck has .80 over piston and rings and i have the 318 motor

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by loneriderty
it time to putt the head off and replace the ring on pistons one set of ring a blown it won't hurt it to drive but i'd suggest keeping oil with you and check it often. when you start to rebuid it check for piston slop it will hurt you in about 100 miles when you have to pull it down again and pay to bore .20 over.
or bore the cylinder out .20 over buy eight piston kits a head gasket kit some beer and invite a couple buddies to help out one weekend
my truck has .80 over piston and rings and i have the 318 motor
.080 over? good god man! no overheating? is that not a custom piston for no noticeable difference over .060?

IMO it'll run just fine for quite some time. im burning about 1 qt per 200 mi due to blown rings and have been for about 2 yrs of course its worse than it was but it still runs good. just now getting the money to build a performance 360.

if its coolant burning that may be a different story. if i had to guess id say its coolant. just check your levels, with that much smoke one has to be depleting.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

ok just went out today and it isn't smoking at all other than initial startup. (which it has done since i got the truck). could a injector of been stuck open. i ran the truck for almost 120 miles yesterday expecting to find oil level down or antifrieze level down but neither they were both fine didnt lose a drop. so i got home and did a compression check all of them were right around 165. so i said i quit for the night i go out to head to work and start my car while letting it warm up i decided to check and see what my truck will do. it works fine no smoke now...

Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
loneriderty
Rookie

well i don't think an injector could've have been open cause that would made black smoke the youtube vid showed oil burning smoke white smoke is normally meaning a head gasket is needed and if you smell a sweet smell with this smoke thats like a for sue way to know
white blue is burning oil indicates blown rings pistons
black smoke indicate running rich proplem injector open ecu needs to be reset

i know i don't get no more power but when i did it i had it sleeved to see that way i could go back to staock or something i like .80 i have to run 113 octane but i make my homemade octane boost so yea

Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i drove my truck to work today 48miles and it didnt smoke one bit. i have no clue what was going on.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Jeffress77
Rookie

Well, you didn't really say whether the smoke was from the exhaust or from under the hood...Does it run a little rough now? I did a full tune up on a car a few years ago, and I didn't notice that I had a little too much slack in one of the new plug wires, and that baby burned up pretty bad on the exhaust manifold. The car smoked (under the hood) and then stopped smoking because the wire had burned through, but it was a hidden wire and I didn't notice it.

Probably not even close to your problem, but something I thought of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 318 smoking bad